SPJ to host C-SPAN 2012 campaign bus

The Society of Professional Journalists and the UA department of journalism are hosting the C-SPAN Campaign 2012 bus on Wed. Nov. 28 at the Trinity United Methodist Church parking lot from 12:30 to 2 pm.

The C-SPAN bus is a broadcasting vehicle that travels around the country during election seasons from the primaries to the inauguration producing stories relevant to the area that it travels through.

“It’s really important to recognize what it takes to broadcast a political candidate’s speeches around the nation and around the world and this bus is one of many that allow you to take a speech from one place and beam it all across a large area,” George Daniels, SPJ faculty advisor and associate journalism professor, said. “And in the process [the bus] gives people access to those who are seeking to represent the government, and as a citizen you should recognize the power that medium could have.”

“I think this is a wonderful opportunity for students to see the C-SPAN bus firsthand and to learn about the work that goes into such extensive political coverage,” Amanda Sams, president of SPJ, said. “It is also a great chance for students to network and meet professional journalists to learn more about the business and decide if a network like C-SPAN is the right place for them to seek a job.”

The bus will also provide information for those interested in attaining an internship in the political or journalism field.

“Anybody interested in getting an internship at C-SPAN can learn about the application process there,” Jennifer Greer, chair of the department of journalism, said.