Meetings management professor wins award

Tyra Hilliard, an associate professor in the restaurant, hotel and meetings management program, received the 2012 Educator of the Year Award from the Professional Convention Management Association last week for her dedication to her industry.

The Professional Convention Management Association is a professional organization where educators in meeting management across the world can network and learn from their colleagues. The association’s Educator of the Year Award has been given for 23 years and is awarded to educators within colleges that have a strong record of personal involvement within the meetings management industry.

“Hilliard exhibited exceptional educational content in presentations and teachings and research and has a strong record of professional involvement in the industry. A committee of 20 scored her the highest,” Carolyn Clark, a representative of PCMA, said.

Hilliard said she was surprised by the award but honored by the recognition of her hard work.

“I was incredulous, surprised, flattered, humbled. It is such an honor to be recognized by peers,” Hilliard said. “I do my best to provide pertinent and timely education not only to my UA restaurant, hotel and meeting management students, but also to industry professionals, as well. I speak at a number of industry conferences.”

Hilliard said receiving the award has motivated her to work towards even greater things.

“More than anything, I want to make a real difference in the lives of my RHM students, the RHM program, the College of Human Environmental Sciences and UA – I suppose in that order of importance,” she said. “More than anything, I want to help students bridge the gap between college and the real world.”