Students donate meals from their plans to needy

The University of Alabama Student Government Association, Bama Dining and UA Transportation Services have teamed up to provide Thanksgiving meals to needy children in Tuscaloosa.

The campaign, Meaningful Meals, will reach out to students in Oakdale Elementary School’s after-school tutoring program. The SGA will transport 70 children and their mentors to campus on Nov. 26 for dinner and an interactive learning project.

“We feel that the event will be a successful and happy experience for many underprivileged children in the Tuscaloosa area,” SGA Press Secretary Meagan Bryant said. “We are lucky to have such cooperative and beneficial resources on our campus, and we are more than happy to share them with the Tuscaloosa community.”

The event was made possible by the donation of meals from UA students’ own meal plans. Students can still donate on the MyBama home page by clicking the “Meaningful Meals” link.

“I hope to help show that there are other ways to help kids in our local community than having to stretch your budget thin by buying toys,” said Keith Edwards, director of communications for Meaningful Meals. “We can have just as much of an impact on a child by just donating a meal — something we take for granted but overlook the importance of to those in need. I also hope that programs such as Meaningful Meals will show the Tuscaloosa community that the students of this university, not just the administration, care about this town and its residents.”

Brielle Appelbaum, executive secretary for the SGA, came up with the idea for Meaningful Meals after volunteering for a toy drive with Al’s Pals. She regretted being unable to give back as much as other mentors and developed Meaningful Meals as an alternative. Appelbaum said she plans to bring Big Al and a few football players to the event to encourage students to continue their education.

“In my family, we celebrate each holiday around the dinner table, and I wanted to one day give the same gift my parents gave me to a child in Tuscaloosa,” Appelbaum said. “My favorite part about working with children is their genuine responses to generosity and kindness.”

Dawit Solomom, director of veteran and military affairs for the SGA, said he is originally from Ethiopia, and the project has a special meaning for him.

“We hope to raise more awareness about underprivileged children, families and students in our community that are going hungry,” Solomon said. “Hunger is not only a problem in our community. It is everywhere. Hopefully with this program, we can show our community, our city, our state that giving back is the greatest gift anyone can give.”

Solomon said if the results of the initial Thanksgiving event are promising, the SGA hopes to expand Meaningful Meals to students, veterans and families in Tuscaloosa at a Christmas event.

“In the future, I hope to expand the program to children in a wide array of areas across Tuscaloosa and their families,” Appelbaum said. “This is a sustainable project I hope the Student Government Association will continue for years to come.”