Flu season reminds students of unpleasant experiences at SHC

As flu season draws closer, UA students hope the Student Health Center can accommodate the medical needs and services for both undergraduate and graduate students. However, memories of unpleasant experiences at the center remind students to stay prepared.

The Student Health Center provides health care to all students at the University, but according to their website, they accept insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield from all states, VIVA Health, Cigna, United Health Care, Aetna, TRICARE, Humana, Health Spring, PSI Student Insurance and the TPA network of Beech Street and PHCS insurance companies. If a student’s insurance is not accepted, bills will be sent to their student account.

Michael Schmidt, a graduate student studying accounting, said he remembers his negative view of the SHC started his freshman year of undergraduate school, because the facility did not take his health insurance.

“I started off going to Black Warrior Medical Center as a freshman and didn’t have my first experience with the Student Health Center until senior year,” Schmidt said. “I feel that going to BWMC was more reputable and had more tools to fully understand my symptoms and possible illnesses.”

With his insurance now covered by the SHC, Schmidt said he does feel it is a quick place for a check-up. However, he believes the center could better serve students with improved communication.

“The biggest change I would make for the SHC is that they be clearer to students without a medical insurance background on what they offer to grad students so that we are clearer on the options presented to us,” Schmidt said.

Amy Dumas, a law student, said she remembers how accessible the center was for her during her freshman year as an undergrad at the University.

“After experiencing all my roommates’ and sister’s swine flu my freshman year, the SHC was a relief to have for easy access,” Dumas said. “However, it was a long wait with other sick students, so I felt like I came out with another cold.”

Judy Davis, quality improvement coordinator for the Student Health Center, said the facility’s wait times are seasonal, such as flu season or when freshman have to get their immunization requirements. She said the SHC staff work straight through lunch breaks to get students in and out the door.

“The students are our main concern, and our administration is very passionate about their needs,” Davis said. “We may close at 8 p.m., but if we still have students, the doctors will stay to see the patients until 9 or 10 p.m.. They’re there until the job gets done.”

However, Davis said there is a 70 to 80 percent retainment among all students at the University.

“We care about all of our students and treat them with the same service,” Davis said.