Hunt for next year’s housing in progress

As the fall semester winds down, many students will begin the hunt for a place to live this time next year. Tuesday, Oct. 30, the Housing and Residential Communities Division of Student Affairs will host a Rental Life 101 seminar at 6 p.m. in Room 309 of the Ferguson Center to inform students about the process of choosing the best place to live.

Steven Rumsey, president of Rumsey Properties in Tuscaloosa, will speak about what landlords expect from first-time tenants and how to interact with landlords if a student has any problems in their new apartment.

An attorney at Rosen Harwood, Katie Thompson, will also be there to inform students and parents on leasing information and reiterate how to handle any problems on the property with the manager or landlord.

Linda Elmore, assistant director of off-campus and greek housing, hopes Rental Life 101 will successfully guide any uncertain student into a place that fits their needs and, most importantly, their budget.

“If a student can only afford a cheaper place, unlike the higher-end apartments with all of the bells and whistles, that’s okay,” Elmore said. “We can help make sure students have the resources to find a great place to live. I encourage students to look at Crimson Choice properties, but there may be a property that fits what that student needs without the more expensive options.”

Crimson Choice, the University’s residential rental education program, will also be sending their representative, Michael Kelley, to speak about the opportunities the program has to offer students, especially those who will be living off campus for the first time.

“We are an outlet for students to use to help them find housing off campus earlier,” Heath Cooper, a representative for Crimson Choice, said at Wednesday’s Housing Fair in the Ferguson Center. “There are so many options, and the Crimson Choice’s inspections, standards, approval and logo prove to parents and students that someone is going out and making sure their new apartment is safe and up to standard.”

Crimson Choice is a free service to apartments and housing developments that wish to be approved by UA student standards. They provide an interactive website for all locations that have met the 60-plus criteria that must be met before gaining a stamp of approval.

There will be prizes and giveaways at the event, as well as ample information and guidance for students deciding where they will live next fall.