‘A very strong message’

The University of Alabama canceled all Inter-fraternity pledge programs Thursday, Oct. 18, just weeks after a three-day suspension preceding fall break and an e-mail claiming to be sent on behalf of fraternity and sorority pledges sent to Greek Affairs director Kathleen Gillan went public.

News of the cancelation broke after Assistant Dean of Students Lowell Davis announced the University’s decision to a group of IFC fraternity presidents at 12:30 p.m. Davis told the students pledges had to be out of pledge gear and all pledge activities were to cease by 1 p.m.

“There is a new day at the University of Alabama, a new president, and we cannot allow the things that have possibly taken place in the past to continue to happen,” Davis said.

Vice President for Student Affairs Mark Nelson spoke to press later in the afternoon and said calls made to the hazing hot line over the past week prompted the suspension.

“It is very difficult to investigate cases of hazing that are reported through anonymous sources that are vague,” Nelson said. “The sources that have come in this week have been very specific and have enabled us to take swifter action.”

Temporary suspension

Though Thursday’s actions were the first taken against entire chapters, allegations of pledge hazing have plagued the University for at least the last month.

On Sept. 16, Gillan, President Guy Bailey and others received an anonymous e-mail claiming to be sent on behalf of fraternity and sorority pledges. The e-mail requested an overhaul of the pledge process.

“We represent a group of freshman men and women that are the subject of physical hazing, sleep deprivation and excessive alcohol consumption that is occurring under your stewardship of the program,” the authors stated in the email. “The time requirement of these young men and women at the houses is too much and contributes to the aforementioned abuses that are occurring.”

On Sept. 25, The Crimson White approached the University for comment on possible hazing violations or pledgeship cancellation. Dean of Students Tim Hebson e-mailed a statement via a university spokeswoman.

“A few pledge classes were suspended temporarily while we investigated allegations of hazing and identified the individuals involved,” Hebson said in the statement. “Individuals who violated the Code of Student Conduct are being dealt with appropriately. Thus far, no fraternities have been found responsible for hazing; only individuals were involved and it was not a chapter action.”

“No pledge classes have been cancelled and the University has not threatened to cancel all new member programs,” he said.

Later that day, Hebson announced a temporary suspension of pledgeship effective Oct. 1 to allow students time off to travel home for fall break and study for midterms. An anonymous author forwarded the e-mail to The Crimson White on Oct. 8, stating that the authors found the week- long suspension insufficient due to “significant hospitalizations and other infractions.” In an e-mailed statement, Hebson denied that the letter had anything to do with the first suspension of pledgeship.

“That letter doesn’t mention any specific high-risk behavior that would make us say that we have to suspend pledgeship because of behavior issues,” Hebson said. “I feel really, really good about where we are. The University is moving in a very positive direction.”

University investigation

After Davis’ announcement Thursday, the University e-mailed a press release outlining the investigations of several IFC fraternities.

According to the release, Pi Kappa Alpha and Delta Tau Delta’s block seating privileges were revoked and both houses must meet with Judicial Affairs. The University also issued interim suspensions to two active members of Pi Kappa Alpha and one former member. The national organizations for Pi Kappa Alpha and Chi Phi issued cease and desist communications to the UA chapters.

The release also states that the University would immediately begin an investigation into Theta Chi following a complaint.

Jake Morrow, a UA senior and rush chair for DKE, said Thursday that he doesn’t understand why pledgeship was canceled.

“I’ve also heard that the hazing hot line is anonymous. Anyone could call the hazing hot line, it doesn’t have to be a Greek member. I don’t see how that gives them credibility to say anything on the hazing hot line,” Morrow said following Nelson’s press conference. “I’m not upset about not having pledge- ship for my sake, but I’m upset for the pledges. pledgeship is basically a way to get the pledge class together, have a brotherhood – I feel like it’s a little ridiculous that they’re taking that away from them.”

Morrow said DKE uses pledgeship as a time to teach pledges about the history of the house and to build a brotherhood between them and the actives. He feels the cancellation will have a negative impact on the University.

“At least have pledgeship next year, if they want to suspend it for the rest of this year,” he said. “I know my new boys want to sign a letter saying they want to do pledgeship anyway. I know there are a lot of parents who still want them to go through pledgeship, a lot of alumni that really want them to go through pledgeship, as well as me and my fraternity brothers.”

Davis said Nelson’s decision to end pledgeship is final, but that Student and Greek Affairs will convene a group of individuals to decide what pledge programs will look like next year.

Nelson also said the University was ready to take extreme measures against IFC fraternities that continued pledgeship underground or retaliated against their pledges.

“We’ve made it very clear and sent a very strong message that retaliation will not be tolerated,” Nelson said. “Any retaliation will be met with the full force of the University.”

Davis has encouraged all the fraternities to begin initiations as soon as possible and said that initiations can be conducted in chapter houses, but an adviser must be present during all ritual events. He also urged fraternity members to respect the final decision of the UA administration.

“No hell week is to take place and, I quote, if hell week does take place, there will be hell to pay from the University of Alabama,” Davis said. “So please, understand that we take any allegation seriously and that we will not continue to let anything happen as it revolves around pledgeship here at the University of Alabama.”