Social activist to speak at WRC event

The Women’s Resource Center will use every form of the spoken word Thursday to give a voice to the personal stories of breast cancer survivors, activists and patients’ families.

Paige Miller, the coordinator for Campus Violence Programs for the Women’s Resource Center, said the event, called “Our Stories Remember,” will target those who have personally been impacted by breast cancer.

“The intention is to raise awareness about breast cancer but also to allow people to come together to honor survivors and loved ones who have been affected by breast cancer,” she said.

The event will feature Reanae McNeal, a performance artist and social activist who tours nationally and internationally to give lectures.

McNeal will give a nontraditional lecture involving stories, songs, poetry and chants. She will emphasize the different ways breast cancer impacts diverse women and will inform attendees how to become activists for breast cancer awareness.

McNeal’s lectures speak out against violence against women and various related social issues. They often incorporate her other creative outlets, which include plays, oral histories, stories, performance poetry and music.

“Her presentations and performances engage the audience,” Miller said. “Sometimes she asks the audience to respond. It’s a more emotional connection … more than just having someone stand there and give you statistics and information.”

The lecture is a part of recognizing Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the most common cancer in women apart from skin cancer and a relevant issue to many on campus.

“It definitely has affected faculty and staff,” Miller said. “There are survivors that work on campus, and many times it affects students’ mothers or grandmothers.”

The Women’s Resource Center will host McNeal again on Friday, Oct. 19, for a lecture titled “Faces of Violence,” which focuses on domestic violence.

“Our Stories Remember” will be held at 3:30 p.m. in Gorgas Library 205 and is open to everyone.