Local organizations to host benefit for DCH

According to the National Cancer Institute, one in every three people is affected by cancer. Two UA students and a couple of organizations are hoping to help some of those people on Wednesday.

In collaboration with the DCH Foundation, the Arts Council of Tuscaloosa will be sponsoring “Music for Marrow,” a benefit concert for the DCH Cancer Center on Wednesday.

A portion of the expenses will help defray the expenses for a bone marrow transplant for Anna Gordon, a 2009 UA alumna who has been battling leukemia for the past year, according to the event’s Facebook page.

Pam Penick, executive director of the Arts Council and a music administration adjunct professor at the University, said the Arts Council got involved with “Music for Marrow” for several reasons.

She said the concert is the senior project of two music administration majors, Stephen Hill and Jud Babcock, and she has been a piano duo partner with Anna Gordon’s mother, Pam.

“I have a personal reason for assisting in this project,” Penick said.

Two local Tuscaloosa bands, The Whiskey River Band and Plato Jones, will be playing the concert.

Babcock, drummer for The Whiskey River Band and one of the event’s organizers, said he is glad he can help out.

Stephen Hill, also one of the concert’s organizers, said he got involved with the DCH Foundation after he took a tour of the cancer center’s new facilities last semester.

“I also wanted to get involved because I have two fraternity brothers whose mothers were treated there.”

Casey Johnson, special events manager for the DCH Foundation, said the foundation has been fortunate that many groups in West Alabama realize DCH Health System is the community’s health system.

“We are a public, not-for-profit organization, and events such as this help with projects that make the health system better and better.”

Both Hill and Babcock said they have previous student volunteer experience with DCH. Babcock said his experience at DCH inspired him to get involved with the DCH Cancer Center.

“Stephen and I worked with DCH several years ago,” Babcock said. “We saw first-hand how important the work they do there is. and we felt compelled to help out when this opportunity came along.”

Several UA students and local residents have expressed interest in attending the concert because it is for a good cause.

Sara Grace Brandon, a sophomore majoring in nursing, said she believes the concert will be a success.

“It’s really important for people to stand up and help any way they can,” she said. “Cancer treatments are so expensive. It is a great cause; you’ve got great bands. I can’t think of a reason why anyone wouldn’t want to go. I really hope there’s a large turnout to help Anna with her transplant.”

Julie Campbell, a local Tuscaloosa resident, said she was excited to attend.

“It’s for a really great cause, and I enjoy listening to both WRB and Plato Jones,” she said. “Hopefully they can raise enough money to help Anna get her transplant.”

The concert will be held Wednesday at 9 p.m. at Jupiter Bar and Grill, and admission is $10. Donations for the DCH Foundation can be made at or mailed to the Arts Council, PO Box 1117, Tuscaloosa, AL 35403.

“This is really important for me and my family,” Gordon said. “ We’re going to benefit not just from the money, but from the awareness it’s going to bring to the young community—that it affects us too.”