Rijsdijk kicks overtime goal to secure Tide’s win against Kentucky

Alabama sophomore Pia Rijsdijk scored three minutes into overtime to lift the Crimson Tide to a 2-1 victory over Kentucky Sunday afternoon at the UK Soccer Complex. With the win, Alabama improves to 7-3-2 overall and 2-2-2 in Southeastern Conference play.

The Dutch connection secured the undefeated weekend and first overtime victory for the Tide this season as Rijsdijk scored her fifth goal in the season and second game win. For the second time in the match freshman Merel Van Dongen setup the goal, this time finding her Dutch teammate inside the penalty area for the decisive tally.

Alabama sophomore Theresa Diederich scored for the sixth time this season when she opened the match with a goal in the 40th minute. Diederich cleaned up a loose ball in the box on a corner kick by Van Dongen.

Kentucky evened the score at one in the 54th minute when Cara Ledman buried a Courtney Raetzman pass for her third goal on the season.

The overtime match was the fourth for Alabama in SEC play and its fourth in its last six games as the Tide came off a double overtime draw at Vanderbilt on Friday night.

Alabama outshot Kentucky, 13-5, including an 8-4 advantage in the second half and a 2-0 margin in overtime. Rijsdijk, Diederich, Molly Atherton and Ashley Willis each recorded two shots apiece.

Alabama will continue league play on the road as the Tide will travel to College Station, Texas to face SEC newcomer Texas A&M on Friday, Oct. 5. The Tide will then face Arkansas on Sunday, Oct. 7.