True freshman steps up after White’s injury

It was an ominous sign when Alabama wide receiver DeAndrew White had to be helped off the field Saturday by two trainers. But as has become the norm under head coach Nick Saban, an injured starter was replaced by another top talent that didn’t miss a beat.

True freshman receiver Amari Cooper played an integral role in Alabama’s 33-14 win over the Ole Miss Rebels. The four-star from Miami, Fla., hauled in eight catches for 84 yards and two touchdowns, accounting for more than a third of quarterback AJ McCarron’s completions.

“We really had high hopes that Amari Cooper would one day find himself and do the things like he does in practice all the time in the game and I think that happened today,” Saban said after the game. “He played very, very well, so that’s a guy that can be an explosive player for us and help us out down the road.”

He provided a go-to threat against a Rebel defense that committed to stopping the run first, often stacking the box with eight defenders. Six of Cooper’s eight receptions went for a touchdown or first down.

Cooper’s most impressive stretch came at the end of the first half. He caught four passes on a possession that Saban called Alabama’s only true drive of the game. Cooper accounted for 37 of the Tide’s 68 yards on the drive, and his fourth reception went for a touchdown after an acrobatic catch in traffic in the end zone. His score capped a 21-0 Tide run after Ole Miss took a 7-6 lead early in the second quarter.

“He did a great job,” said wide receiver Christion Jones, whose 99-yard kick return sparked the 21-0 run. “Amari stepped up as a freshman coming in. He’s done a great job all year coming in playing X and Z. But he’s doing a great job. He did a great job tonight converting third downs, getting first downs.”

Cooper’s breakout game was hardly unexpected, however.

He drew high praise from coaches and teammates after enrolling in January and working his way through spring practice and fall camp. Playing in a receiving corps that may be Alabama’s deepest unit, Cooper was a standout in spring and fall scrimmages. Where other freshmen could get lost in the mix, he made a name for himself.

In his first touchdown game against Arkansas, a 26-yard screen pass allowed him to show his speed and vision with the ball. He added four receptions in last week’s game against Florida Atlantic and on Saturday was the “lone bright spot” on offense, said center Barrett Jones.

“It’s a great thing when you recruit a player who can come in and start right off,” Christion Jones said. “Now he’s bought into the unit and how we play and how we do things around here. So now it’s all what he does on the field and he’s doing a great job at it.”

Cooper will be needed in a big way in the coming games. The outlook does not look bright for White, who returned from the locker room in street clothes and on crutches. Saban said he would be re-evaluated Sunday.

McCarron didn’t sound too optimistic about White’s return, but knows that he can heavily rely on his replacement.

“[Cooper]’s done a great job,” McCarron said. “Amari’s a very good receiver, a good teammate. He progresses every day. And that’s what we’re going to need now that DeAndrew’s out. We’re going to need more guys to step up for us.”