German culture displayed in Ferg event series

The Ferguson Center partnered with the German House, German department and German Club Wednesday, Sept. 26 to host an event as a part of the International Expressions series to the German culture.

Headed by Lauren Scoggan, a senior majoring in restaurant, hotel and meetings management and Spanish, the German event is one of many created for the International Expressions series, a program that allows students to immerse in different cultures around the world in their own backyard.

The event was catered by local German bakery Edelweiss, and German teaching assistant Eva Schmeidl lectured on Oktoberfest. Scoggan enlisted assistance from two native German students, Schmeidl and Verena Wolf, to help make the event more authentic.

“I am surprised so many people are interested in Germany, and I think this is a good way to represent parts of the culture,” said Wolf, a member of the German House, a living-learning community on campus.

German 102 instructor Charlotte Lewis brought her class to the event so her students could learn outside of the classroom. She hoped it would give her students a broader cultural awareness of the German language.

Throughout the event, the leaders of the event stressed the importance of experiencing new cultures.

“Beer, cars and Nazis are what most people connect with Germany,” Schmeidl said. “It would be nice if people got more than that because of this event.”

Scoggan said a greater awareness of Germany could bring UA students success.

“People with open minds for other cultures tend to be more successful, and this can help students in the University to do so,” she said.

Additionally, students can attend International Expressions events throughout the semester.

“In October, we will be doing Dia de los Muertos, and in November we will be doing Japanese culture,” Scoggan said. “We do one every month, and we’re open to suggestions for spring.”