Fraternity pledgeship suspended

All Interfraternity Council fraternities will suspend pledgeship effective Oct. 1.UA Dean of Students Tim Hebson said at 11 p.m. Tuesday that pledgeship will be reinstated Oct. 8 following fall break.

IFC President Drew Smyth confirmed that pledgeship would be temporarily suspended for the week.

“We are right now working on making sure that everything in the greek community is running smoothly,” Smyth said. “We felt the new members needed to be rested up for their families.”

Earlier Tuesday, The Crimson White approached the University for comment on possible hazing violations or pledgeship cancellation. Hebson e-mailed a statement via a University spokewoman.

“A few pledge classes were suspended temporarily while we investigated allegations of hazing and identified the individuals involved,” Hebson said in the statement. “Individuals who violated the Code of Student Conduct are being dealt with appropriately. Thus far, no fraternities have been found responsible for hazing; only individuals were involved and it was not a chapter action.

“No pledge classes have been cancelled and the University has not threatened to cancel all new member programs,” he said.

Practically, suspension of pledgeship could mean potential new members in IFC fraternities may not be required to spend time at the houses they are pledging each day or participate in other activities required by the house.