Study abroad fair to educate and inform students about international study opportunities

The Capstone International Academic Programs will host their Study Abroad Fair on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Ferguson Center. The fair is an opportunity for UA students to learn about the possibilities and benefits of studying abroad.

This semester’s fair is primarily for the Capstone International Center’s affiliates, so they can showcase all of the programs that are offered by their company to UA students.

“We have a lot of students who don’t want to do an exchange or a faculty program because maybe we aren’t offering a program they are interested in, so they would go on an ‘affiliate program,’” Holly Hudson, the director of Capstone International Academic Programs, said.

The third party affiliates have been approved and vetted through the Capstone International Program so students who go on these programs are able to receive UA credit.

There are hundreds of affiliate programs, but the international program is only partnered with 15, Hudson said.

“We would like for UA students to know there are all sorts of options for studying, volunteering and interning abroad while also getting credit for it,” Hudson said. “We just want the students to know we exist.”

Students will have the opportunity to win a free iPod Shuffle by swiping their ACT cards at any of the study abroad desks.

“Our mission is to have UA students become global citizens, become more aware of other cultures, become more aware of themselves, more aware of our place in the world, their status as Americans and how it affects their lives and the lives of others,” Hudson said.

Although the fair is meant to target only UA students, the affiliates also travel to other schools. Despite the fact that they do indeed visit many other schools, Hudson said the affiliates report back year after year that the UA fair always has the best turnout.

Academic advisor Amy Linden said studying abroad has many benefits for students, in addition to academic benefits.

“Students are able to get a better understanding of themselves by going out of their comfort zone, and I think students come back knowing themselves and more about their home country than they ever thought,” Linden said.

There will be another fair in the spring. If you are unable to attend the fair, you can also visit the website at www.studyabroad.ua.edu for any other information.

“Traveling abroad isn’t a once in a lifetime experience, but studying abroad isn’t something that should be missed,” Hudson said.