HES professor recognized as young leader in tourism

Kim Boyle, a University of Alabama professor in the College of Human and Environmental Sciences, was chosen to be a part of the inaugural class of the Southeast Tourism Society’s Forty for the Future: Travel’s Leading Talent.

The Southeast Tourism Society is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion and development of tourism throughout the Southeast. It includes over 800 tourism-related businesses and organizations from all across the country. Their Forty for the Future program is a way to recognize professionals younger than 40 from 14 states who have performed well and demonstrated dedication to their businesses and organizations.

Patti Culp, a member of the Alabama Travel Council, said the award is meant to encourage a younger generation of tourism specialists to get involved and to recognize their hard work. “These winners are the leaders of tomorrow,” she said. “They show so much potential for the future, and we want to encourage growth, as well as give them more recognition for their accomplishments.”

Forty recipients were selected from around the southeastern United States, and six were from Alabama alone.

Roy Maize of the College of Human and Environmental Sciences said when he heard about the award, he immediately thought to nominate Kim Boyle.

“Kim has been very dedicated in the over 15 years that she’s worked with us,” he said. “The award recognizes young, promising people who are going to be leaders, and I think Kim emulates the kind of leader they’re looking for.”

Boyle said that she’s honored to be a part of the first class of Forty for the Future and that she hopes it will highlight the University’s hospitality program.

“I am excited that this achievement will bring recognition to our state, University, college and our growing hospitality program,” she said. “One of our objectives for our program is to be known nationally, and this award helps achieve this goal. Current and future students will see the University of Alabama as a reputable hospitality school.”

Maize is also pleased that the award will reflect the growing success of the College of Human and Environmental Sciences’ hospitality program.

“We’re thrilled to death that Kim can be recognized and so can our program,” he said. “Our program has grown so much in the past few years because of tremendously good faculty – people like Kim.”

The recipients of the award will be recognized at the Southeast Tourism Society’s Fall Forum Oct. 31 through Nov. 2 in Virginia Beach, Va.