Campus hosts intensive for young dancers

If students haven’t already noticed, tights, buns and leotards have become the latest fashion trend at the University of Alabama. For the past two weeks, the campus has welcomed the nation’s most talented ballerinas ages 11-16 for a summer dance intensive from June 25-July 14 in collaboration with the prestigious New York-based American Ballet Theatre (ABT).

Dancers are selected for the intensive through a nationwide audition tour held in 24 major cities. Selected participants will have the opportunity to strengthen and refine their technique for immediate and advanced levels of ballet with dancers from across the nation.

“I loved how there were students from all over the United States in my hometown in Tuscaloosa,” said Mary Katherine Lake, former ABT participant.

At Alabama, campers participate in a full day of workshops, group rehearsals and classes under the direction of Artistic Coordinator Rhea Speights, Director Sarah M. Barry, ABT faculty and local guest artists. The classes include: technique, Pointe, variations, Pas de Deux, acting, modern, jazz, yoga, Pilates, men’s class, dance history and repertory.

Lake said the intensive was tiring, dancing from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, but definitely worth it.

“My technique improved a lot after each summer that I participated in ABT,” Lake said. “There were outstanding teachers from prestigious companies and it was a blessing to get to work and learn from them.”

Founded in 1940, ABT has been home to many of the world’s most respected dancers, including Mikhail Baryshnikov, Agnes de Mille and Jerome Robbins. Today, ABT is known globally for “establishing an American identity for ballet” and is recognized as “one of the greatest dance companies in the world.”

Through ABT’s summer intensive partnership with Alabama established in 1977, talented young dancers gain both the highest level of dance training and a firm curriculum of dance studies.

While on campus, students stay in Blount residence hall and are accompanied by ABT camp counselors, which are selected UA dance majors. The role of an ABT counselor is to enhance the dancers’ experience while taking responsibility for their health and safety. During the classes, the counselors take notes, control music and demonstrate for the instructors to help rehearsals run smoothly.

“The most challenging part of ABT is knowing I am responsible for 167 dancers and 24 counselors,” said head ABT counselor, Tori Lee. She said she wants to make sure they feel safe and at home while having a great time.

“The most rewarding part is not only seeing such talented young adults share my same passion, but also seeing my fellow dance majors build relationships with both younger dancers and each other,” Lee said. “It is even more rewarding when dancers from past years keep in touch with us, because at that point, I know we have fulfilled our duties as counselors.”

In addition, ABT counselors chaperone the dancers around campus and coordinate extracurricular activities for their entertainment.

“Entertainment activities include group trips to the pool, Wii dance tournaments, dance movie nights, Pointe shoe and t-shirt tie-dying and decorating, church trips, Target and Publix runs, and trivia nights,” said second-year ABT counselor, Hannah King.

King said even though the days are long and exhausting, at the end of the day the campers are great at motivating the counselors by connecting on a personal level.

“It means the world to me to see the campers grow throughout the three weeks by becoming better dancers and young men and women,” King said.

The ABT Summer Intensive Showcase Performance will be on Saturday, July 14 at noon and 3 p.m. in the Moody Music Concert Hall. The performance will feature classical repertory as well as new choreography by ABT faculty.

“I am looking forward to seeing the dancers showcase everything that they have learned here and to see how far they have come in such a short period of time,” King said.

For more information on purchasing tickets, contact the Department of Theatre and Dance, (205) 348-5283.