CrossingPoints alumna ‘greatest grad’ finalist

A recent graduate of the University of Alabama’s special education program CrossingPoints was selected as a finalist for a nationwide contest honoring students’ success.

“My parents were actually eating lunch back in April at O’Charley’s and saw the little postcard on the table for the restaurant’s Greatest Grad contest,” Barbi Skipper, the mother of finalist Holly Skipper, said.

Skipper’s mother didn’t think anyone with special needs would apply. Therefore, she decided to fill out the application for her daughter.

“Holly has been nothing but a blessing,” Barbi Skipper said. “She’s taught us more than we’ve taught her.”

From more than 2,400 nominees, Holly Skipper is one of 12 graduates selected nationally by O’Charley’s Greatest Grad contest. As a result, O’Charley’s hosted a special graduation celebration at its McFarland Boulevard restaurant in Tuscaloosa on June 10 to honor her achievements. The celebration included up to 11 guests and an O’Charley’s meal of their choice.

“They went above and beyond their call of duty,” Barbi Skipper said. “They have been awesome. They gave her a huge graduation party, fed her and brought her a huge cake. The regional manager of Tennessee and the district manager of Birmingham, Ala., came and honored her with a gorgeous trophy.”

O’Charley’s president Marc Buehler said he is “honored to celebrate the graduation and hard work of Holly Skipper. She is an inspiration and worthy of receiving a special celebration to commemorate this great accomplishment and milestone.”

Skipper’s mother feels, aside from graduating Tuscaloosa County High School, being selected as a finalist for the contest is Skipper’s greatest accomplishment.

Growing up, Holly Skipper enrolled at RISE, now named the Gene Stallings Center, in Tuscaloosa at seven weeks old. Skipper’s mother felt the program was a blessing and gave her daughter a “firm foundation.”

“They taught her how to walk, sit, eat and potty train,” Barbi Skipper said. “It was the little things we take for granted with a normal child. She learned to sit up at one-year, walk at 17-months, but most of all, she taught us to never give up, always keep trying and the true meaning of unconditional love.”

After graduating from Tuscaloosa County High School, Skipper got accepted into the UA’s special education program, CrossingPoints. The program concentrates on job placement and life skills. There, Holly Skipper gained social and employment experience through working at the Bryant Conference Center, Recreation Center, Bama Dining and, most recently, Tropical Tan in Northport.

This summer, she will go back to her roots by volunteering at RISE starting July 9. She is also considering Eagles’ Wings, a non-profit organization that provides special needs services.

“Skipper has moved to the final phase of the contest where the public can vote on their favorite finalist via the O’Charley’s Facebook page,” said Jim Bakken, senior director of Peritus, a public relations company in Alabama.

At the end of the voting phase on June 30, the selected winner with the most votes will receive a new Apple iPad as a grand prize courtesy of O’Charley’s.

“We’re going to throw a party no matter the outcome,” Barbi Skipper said.

She believes her daughter’s achievements have raised awareness about special needs, not just within the Northport community, but across the nation, as well.