UA to add more parking

By the end of the summer, the University of Alabama’s Department of Transportation Services promises to add more than 700 additional parking spaces to the 20,644 that already exist via the Northeast Commuter parking lot.

This change is coming as part of a campus-wide renovation this summer. The new commuter parking lot will be located near the Capstone College of Nursing, the Stallings Center and the Child Development Research Center on campus.

Chris D’Esposito, assistant director of Transportation Services, said the new parking lot will be listed online as on option for student purchase by this summer, when parking registration begins.

“Also, as a result of the pending expansion of the Ferguson Center, the South Ferguson Reserve Lot has been reclassified,” D’Esposito said. The lot will now only have handicap, state official, time limit and faculty and staff parking options.

In addition to more parking availability on campus, more bike lanes have been put in place. Both sides of McCorvey Drive now have a bike lane, according to D’Esposito.

“The addition of bike lanes required the removal of 33 parallel spaces that were designated as yellow residential,” D’Esposito said. “The loss of the space did not create any hardship since these spaces could be easily absorbed into the Ferguson Deck, which is also designated as yellow residential.”

Parking availability is not the only change taking place on campus. Various buildings across campus are receiving facelifts and will be ready for the masses this coming fall.

Moore, Little and Doster Halls, as well as Rose Administration Building, will be undergoing major renovations this summer, said Dan Wolfe, University planner and designer.

Paty Hall will be receiving a new fire alarm system, a new roof and elevator upgrades, as well.

“Beautiful new landscaping, turf and irrigation will be installed,” Wolfe said. “New lighting, wider sidewalks and student gathering areas will be created to accommodate the growth on campus.”

Every project that is completed adds to the quality of life on campus and the aesthetic of campus, Wolfe said.

“We are also working to reforest many areas of campus,” he said. “This is a part of our new 2012 Campus Master Plan, and we have already added thousands of trees to campus over the last five years.”

A part of that aesthetic includes the quality of roads, according to Tim Leopard, assistant vice president of construction. The University is responsible for the care and management of roads.

“Every summer, we repave roads,” Leopard said. “Right now, we are repaving Colonial Drive. It was in great need of some work.”

Summer is the ideal time for construction to take place on campus because the amount of student traffic is significantly lower, according to Leopard. Working over the summer helps to minimize the impact construction has on the teaching and learning environment.

Leopard said he believes all the work being done on campus will improve the overall teaching and learning experience on campus.

“Our intent is to continue these improvements and strive to make UA the most beautiful and productive campus in America,” Wolfe said.