Out-of-state students band together in new group

With the number of out-of-state students exploding at the Capstone in the past few years, a new group is being organized to give those students a more unified voice on campus. The name of the program is The “49,” and its leaders are preparing to launch at the start of the Fall 2012 semester.

Josh Burford, the coordinator for student development programs at the University, is leading the program and has spearheaded its development over the last year.

“The program has been designed to meet the needs of new and existing students from out of state by helping them connect with people from their region, get to know the community through events and community service and to act as a resource for UA campus around issues related to students from out of state,” Burford said.

The group has been meeting as a more formal, pseudo-legislative wing called The Assembly.

The Assembly is made up of two student representatives from every state outside of Alabama. All of the states are currently represented, except for Maine and Utah.

Burford said The Assembly has been meeting twice a month and coming up with ideas for next year. The group focuses on proposals that would benefit out-of-state students and make them more involved on campus.

Rachel Solino, a freshman from New Orleans who is majoring in international studies, is a member of The “49” and a part of The Assembly, representing Louisiana.

“I didn’t know that many people, so I had to take the initiative to jump out there, but through The “49,” it guides you along the way,” Solino said.

Solino said The “49” is an advantage for new students, and it will help them make the transition to life in Tuscaloosa.

“You don’t feel like you’re the only person from New Orleans,” Solino said. “It’s nice to have someone to have commutation with who had gone through it and knows what you’re talking about and can be accessible to you any time you need them.”

Sam Durfey, a freshman majoring in microbiology from Tuper Lake, N.Y., is also a member of The “49.”

Durfey also had a difficult time getting used to being on her own. The transition from New York to western Alabama proved to be harder than she originally assumed it would be.

“I didn’t know anybody here, and I was so freaked out. I just sat in my dorm and didn’t know what to do,” he said.

That sentiment is exactly what Burford wants to change in students who come from out of state.

Burford said the purpose of The “49” is twofold.

“One, we’re going to start representing the interests of out-of-state students,” he said. “It will represent out-of-state interest in lots of different places across campus. With admissions; in standing committees; in our new program that we’re calling foundations, which will be our matching program, which will be sort of like a regional Big Brothers, Big Sisters program. It’s also to help students adjust.”

The organization will match freshmen with students from their home states to help with adjustment during the fall semester.

The “49” will hold an interest meeting on Sunday at 4 p.m. in Room 309 of the Ferguson Center. The meeting is expected to last no more than an hour, will be about the group and will feature a detailed explanation of the upcoming freshman matching program. Burford said all students from out of state are invited to come out and learn about what The “49” is doing.

“There is so much planned for next year, and we need all the help we can get,” Burford said.