Arboretum hosts 30th annual plant sale

The Friends of the University of Alabama Arboretum will host their 30th Annual Spring Plant Sale this Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m.

The sale will take place in the parking lot of the former University of Alabama Golf Course, located at the intersection of Veteran’s Memorial Parkway and Loop Road. All money raised at the event will help fund the arboretum.

Designed by local horticulturist Mary Jo Modica, the event was originally created to provide gardeners in the Tuscaloosa area with a convenient venue in which to purchase commonly grown, as well as hard to find, herbs, vegetables and plants.

As time passed and the sale increased in popularity, Modica said the event evolved into something more similar to a local festival than a small plant sale.

Each of the plants sold at the event is rigorously evaluated to ensure that only the highest quality plants are offered for sale each year based on color, vigor and potential for strong growth.   Jennifer Davidson, a sophomore majoring in environmental studies, said she likes the idea of a locally run plant sale and regrets that she won’t be able to attend this year.

“The apartment complex where I live has a communal garden, so normally, the opportunity to purchase a bunch of different plants that aren’t found in the larger stores is pretty hard to pass up,” Davidson said. “Unfortunately, I need to be home this weekend. Otherwise, I’m sure that I’d be one of the first people at the event.”

Each year, the plant sale has witnessed some degree of growth in both the selection of plants offered for sale as well as popularity and planned attractions. In addition to the plants regularly sold, this year’s event will also feature arboretum-made compost and various hard to find vegetables, flowers and herbs available for purchase.

Berteal and Rob Alley will also provide live acoustic music throughout the course of the afternoon. One of the other additions to the event this year will be the offering of how-to style gardening workshops by local gardeners covering a broad range of gardening topics.

“New this year are how-to workshops every 30 minutes by Tuscaloosa Master Gardeners on container gardening, making your own herbal teas, pruning and plant care,” Modica said. “Judith Rives is going to show people how to plant in containers like a sieve, a colander and even a laundry basket.”

Alongside the Spring Plant Sale, the fourth annual Arboretum Crafts Fair will also be taking place on Sunday. The Crafts Fair gives local jewelers, potters and artists the opportunity to publicly showcase and sell their creations in a market-style venue.

The Plant Sale will open to the general public at 1 p.m. Members of the Friends of the University of Alabama Arboretum will be admitted at noon along with those gardeners who wish to join the organization on the day of the event.