Candidates for VP for diversity, equity and inclusion agree to debate

CW / Hannah Grace Mayfield

Both candidates for Student Government Association vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion have agreed to participate in a debate. 

This will mark the first time candidates for the VP of DEI spot have debated since the position was created in 2018, and the event will follow the candidate forum scheduled for 5 p.m. Sunday in the Great Hall of the Student Center. The two debates — this and the presidential — will begin at 6 p.m. in the Student Center Theater. 

In an email to The Crimson White, the SGA Elections Board wrote that as in years past, “only presidential candidates are required to take part in the debate. 

The board said that for other contested Executive Council positions, two or more candidates must agree to participate to hold a debate. 

Earlier this week, the Elections Board reached out to both candidates for vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion to determine their interest in debating. 

“Although I know that in recent years debates between non-Presidential executive candidates have not been typical, I will opt to participate in the debate, should my opponent challenge me to do so,” candidate Aubrei Grisaffe wrote in her response to the Elections Board. 

Grisaffe’s opponent, Jada Green, also confirmed her interest in a statement to The CW. 

Last year, only the presidential and executive vice presidential candidates participated in debates. 

Bella Loia, who won last year’s election for vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion, declined to debate her opponent, stating that debating DEI “would only serve to introduce divisive dynamics that could be counterproductive to our shared goal of creating a more inclusive campus environment.” 

As of the time of publication, students may submit questions for the presidential debate on the SGA’s website.