Historic JD’s to reopen after Spring Break

Historic JDs to reopen after Spring Break

JD’s, a Tuscaloosa institution since 1949, will reopen as a modern convenience store and pizza shop, with a liquor store attached, after the University of Alabama’s spring break.

Tom Cubelic, the vice president of Micwil Properties and part owner of JD’s, is excited about the opportunity to improve the community staple originally known as Grant’s after the Second World War.

“It’s long overdue for a facelift, and we’re giving it that facelift,” Cubelic said.

Cubelic said the ownership group wants to be a responsible part of the community and do something that Tuscaloosa can be really proud of.

“So we are giving this place a complete renovation,” Cubelic said.

The six-figure renovation includes a new ceiling, light fixtures, heating and air conditioning, tile floor, doors, a new paint job and awnings that will wrap around the exterior of the building.

A beer cave is also under construction in the back corner of the store that will be 13 feet deep, 18 feet wide and 8 feet tall. When finished, it will be stacked with pallets full of beer that will be useful on game days, the owners said.

In addition, a liquor store will be built and sectioned off from the rest of the store, as state law dictates. It will be more than 500 square feet in size.

There will be an extensive collection of red and white wine as well as a large selection of microbrews, imported and craft beers.

The outside of the building will also be completely repainted in more “user-friendly” colors, Cubelic said.

“We want to bring it up to 2012 standards,” Cubelic said.

On May 10, 2011, Cubelic and Jason Collins, the president of Micwil Properties bought the property in an absolute auction.

“It was kind of a fluke, we did not go to that auction thinking that we were going to get JD’s, but that’s how it worked out,” Collins said.

Collins also credits the city of Tuscaloosa for the quick construction process and ease in obtaining the necessary permits.

“They are very business minded and want everything to move forward,” Collins said. “They have been very supportive, and I think they realize that our facility needs a facelift, and they’ve done everything in their power to make it as easy as possible to make this project a success.”

JD’s is trying to turn the concept of a convenience store on its head in some regards. Cubelic said the new look JD’s is being designed in the mold of a Fresh Market.

“When you (Alabama students) return from spring break, I am quite convinced that this is going to look unrecognizable,” Cubelic said. “Not only do we want to contribute something of aesthetic value to the neighborhood, we also want to give the students, faculty and visitors a destination shopping place where they can come and get everything they need in one-stop shopping right here.”

JD’s will serve items such as hot dogs, popcorn and freshly made pizza by Hunt Brothers Pizza.

Paul Weeks, the territory consultant for Hunt Brothers Pizza, has high hopes for JD’s.

“We are loving it and looking forward to this new location,” Weeks said. “We think it is going to be one of our star stores.”

JD’s will feature a complete pizza shop in the middle of the store.

“It’s a full blown pizza operation, these owners are doing the right thing,” Weeks said.

Collins and Cubelic said they are in tune with the student population, as is demonstrated by their decision to bring back a collegiate favorite: the ICEE.

“I will admit that I was not on the ICEE train initially, but I have been converted because the sheer number of kids who’ve come in here and asked for an ICEE has been pretty amazing,” Cubelic said. “So, we’ll definitely have that.”

The well-known JD’s billboard will be refurnished as well, a project that the owners liken to building the Statue of Liberty on Paul Bryant Drive.

One of the most important selling points and historical aspects of JD’s is its location near Bryant-Denny Stadium.

This geographical benefit does not slip Cubelic’s mind.

“In the fall, on Saturdays, we get 120,000 of our best friends that come visit Tuscaloosa, and we’re three blocks away from their favorite venue, and we want every one of them to come by and say ‘hi’,” Cubelic said.

Roy Acker, the manager of JD’s since 1996, has seen many changes during his time at the store, as well as his fair share of owners.

“I think they are doing right, everybody is pretty excited and happy about it,” Acker said.

Acker also said they were trying to do something different from the other stores in the area.

“If you can’t come up into the 21st century, then you need to go away,” Acker said.