Navistar coming to UA to provide student work, internship opportunities

Those interested in job opportunities in the fields of vehicular manufacture, marketing, business and sales are in luck. Navistar International, a $10 billion company that produces commercial and military trucks, is coming to campus Feb. 28 for Navistar Day.

“Navistar Day is one of the biggest events of the spring semester for the business school, and I’m really excited that we have the opportunity to connect talented students of all majors here at the University of Alabama with this great company,” said Brandon Poley, a sales ambassador.

The sales program, in conjunction with the engineering department, MIS and others, hosts Navistar Day every year. It serves as an opportunity for students to meet representatives of the company and learn more about the job opportunities at Navistar. Several Navistar representatives will be on hand to take questions and give special presentations. Navistar will also display various examples of its wares to the presentation. These will include various models of large trucks. A race car and MRAP – a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected military vehicle – may be displayed as well.

“Navistar is a rare organization in that they feature jobs and internships applicable to students of all majors and backgrounds,” said Joe Calamusa, director of the sales program at UA. “The format for Navistar Day serves to connect students from across the entire UA campus with a global industry leader. Whether a student is studying engineering or English, management or mathematics, there are relevant professional opportunities for them at Navistar.”

Navistar is known for both its manufactured trucks and specialty engines. Their products include vehicles such as the MaxxForce, IC Bus and the MRAP. The company has also been on the forefront of attempts to produce efficient and eco-friendly engines.

According to the EPA, all new truck engines from 2010 on must produce near-zero limits for NOx, a primary ingredient of smog. While most other engine manufacturers chose to achieve this through a cocktail of chemical additives, Navistar has forged ahead in attempting to design a better engine, one that produces almost no NOx at all. The engine’s test data has been submitted to the EPA for certification, and the industry is currently awaiting the results.

Navistar has stated an interest in offering internships and jobs to students of all backgrounds, emphasizing the opportunities it can provide to students pursuing vastly different majors.

“It’s an excellent gesture for a company to come to campus and reach out to students of all kinds,” said Rebekah Gage, a sophomore majoring in engineering. “Especially in this time of high unemployment. I think it’s great that they’re going to be here, and I’m very interested in attending, both as an engineer and as a person interested in a future career.”

Students may register for Navistar Day by visiting cba.ua.edu/sales.