Tide prepares for Ole Miss rematch

Tide prepares for Ole Miss rematch

The women’s basketball team gears up to face Ole Miss in Oxford tonight at 7 p.m. in Tad Smith Coliseum. This will be the second time the teams have played each other this season. “We have gone through practice to play against what we know we will see,” head coach Wendell Hudson said. “Sometimes, that’s even better for players – to know what they will see – instead of just a scouting report or on film.” Alabama suffered a 69-55 defeat against Ole Miss in January at Foster Auditorium. Junior forward Kyra Crosby led UA in scoring with 14 points. The Rebels’ sophomore point guard, Valencia McFarland, had a game-high 25 points and nine assists. Stopping McFarland will be a key for the Tide to come out on top. “We played them before, so we know what to do,” Crosby said. “We have to stop the point guard, because everything runs through her.” “Everything that Ole Miss runs goes through the point guard,” Hudson said. “She accounted for 75 percent of their points, either from scoring or assists, so you have to do some things to take things away from her.” Both Alabama and Ole Miss are on losing streaks. No. 20 Georgia defeated the Tide 81-66 in Tuscaloosa. Florida beat Ole Miss 84-55 in Gainesville. The Rebels are ranked one spot above Alabama in the Southeastern Conference standings. While the team has experienced SEC woes, Hudson said Alabama remains positive. “I feel good [about going into Oxford],” he said. “I feel good about the Georgia game. I thought we got off to a good start but still can’t go through those spurts of not scoring… Everything we’ve been doing here lately is really good, and then it boils down to whether or not we’re going to be able to make some shots.” Junior guard Jessica Merritt said, “I feel really confident. We’ve been playing a lot better lately. We’ve been playing hard, and in practice, we’ve been practicing on playing smarter. I think if we can get that down packed in this game, we can turn this whole SEC season around.” Tonight will be “Tickled Pink” night. Both teams will wear pink to show their support for the fight against breast cancer. Alabama will be without Celiscia Farmer and Erin Hogue. The Tide will face LSU Sunday at 1 p.m. in Foster Auditorium. It will be the start of a three-game home stint for the team as they finish out the remaining five games of the season.