Key to weight loss: create a ‘calorie deficiency’ with workouts

MCT

From running to swimming, cardio encompasses a variety of activities that get your heart pumping and your body producing buckets of sweat all while maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle.

I’m not writing to tell you to go lose weight. I’m writing to tell you to stop complaining about wanting to lose weight and just do it, like Nike says. Think of this health column as your own personal White Goodman wake-up call: Spring break is swiftly approaching, and I’m tired of all the whining about the mass of winter flab accumulated circa holiday festivities. I’m right there with you, trust me. So, how do you lose the weight?

Although the answer isn’t easy, the secret to weight loss is calorie deficiency­ – yeah, no more messy fries from Quick Grill at 2 a.m. Cardio exercise can create a calorie deficiency by burning extra calories you can’t manage to stave off through diet. Don’t starve yourself, though!

Simply eat smart and exercise regularly. Easier said than done, right? The University of Alabama’s Student Recreational Center makes working out a little more fun than Jillian Michaels’ workout videos do. The SRC offers group exercise classes such as Zumba, indoor cycle and many other aerobic classes. Drag a friend along to make fun of them trying to keep up. What better way to make exercising fun?

If an hour of exercise doesn’t seem to fit into your busy schedule (or there are other things you would rather do than exercise for an hour), vigorous and intense shorter workout sessions are the next best option.

“If losing weight is your goal and you have only 20 to 30 minutes, go as hard as you can,” said Dr. John Jackson, assistant director of Fitness and Research at UA’s SRC. “Keep your heart rate elevated for an extended period of time.”

Individuality is a vital factor when deciding what is hard. What is difficult for one person may not be so hard for another. As long as you incorporate cardio performance three to five days a week for 20 to 60 minutes at a maximum heart rate of 60 to 85 percent, you’re good to go.

With many students coming to the realization that spring break is only four weeks away, the gym is packed every night out the hoo-ha. To get in a good workout, “Be creative,” said Dr. Jackson. “Don’t sit and waste your time waiting for a machine.”