Let’s all get aced: foods that enhance mental performance

Ever seen the “Prostate Exam” episode of Family Guy where Peter passes a college exam by declaring the test too hard and tearing the paper up in front of his professor? If only life were that simple.

Unfortunately, any student who tried to pull that stunt would have no such luck, which is why we students must study our tails off to pass finals. Dead week is upon us, fellow scholars, and we must prepare for the hardships ahead.

No need to stock up on Adderall and coffee. Simply adding a few provisions to your daily diet will naturally improve mental performance and productivity. Study, study, study – let’s all get aced.

Eggs. Eggs contain choline, a type of B vitamin that is shown to increase memory retention and energizes the body. B vitamins can also improve your mood. Eggs for breakfast are a quick and good way to kick start a day of tedious studying.

Fish, Nuts and Beans. Salmon, mackeral, tuna, sardines, walnuts, flaxseeds, kidney beans and soy beans are just a few examples. All contain main components of omega 3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), two fundamental building blocks of the outer membrane of cells that nerve signals pass through.

In order to retain information, the cells must create new membranes. Omega 3 is essential for the body because the body cannot produce them itself. Therefore, we must incorporate them in our diet to maintain optimum brain function.

A steady balance of omega 6 with omega 3 is also crucial to a healthy diet. Omega 6, found in vegetable oils such as soy oil, increases inflammation, blood clotting and cell creation in the body while omega 3 counteracts these effects. Balance within the body is crucial.

Cut back on the fast food though, as many Americans today have a high intake of omega 6, which can lead to degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Nuts also contain vitamin E, an antioxidant, which when consumed in moderation prevents degenerative diseases. Include fish in a meal at least twice a week (or six ounces) as well as a handful of nuts and a cup of beans a day in your diet to receive the benefits of omega 3.

Green and Cruciferous Vegetables. Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts and cabbage (although not the most tasty) are high in antioxidants like vitamin C that protect the brain from free radicals. The free radicals, produced when cells generate energy, are the waste products emitted from energy production and are harmful to the brain. Antioxidants can disable free radicals and protect the brain, which utilizes 17 percent of the body’s energy. Try to add some to a salad or as a side to any