Four common misconceptions about health

Did your mom ever tell you never cross your eyes because if you cross them for too long, they will get stuck that way? After a certain age, mom could fool us no longer. We all figured out that no, your eyes won’t stay crossed no matter how long you cross them, though they will hurt and you might get a little dizzy. Here are four other health myths exposed that may take a little more than self-experience to solve.

Fried junk food causes acne. We can all agree puberty sucked. Acne was an inevitable outcome throughout teenage years, and even in old age it still manages to rear its ugly head (no pun intended) every now and then. To prevent a break out, the usual route is to dodge deliciously fried and processed foods. Fret not, dear reader, for you no longer have to sacrifice all things battered and greasy, at least not for clear skin. Diet has no effect on blemishes, but according to the “Complete Idiot’s Guide to Beautiful Skin” by Marsha Gordon and Alice E. Fugate, androgenic hormones and hygiene do. Other factors include oral contraceptives, certain skin care products, and exposure to humidity as well as oil or grease.

You can build up a tolerance for alcohol. Hate to burst your bubble alcohol connoisseurs, but there is no such thing as increasing your body’s endurance for booze. During the Project Health 2011 fall retreat, guest speaker Delynne Wilcox, Health Education Coordinator of Student Health Awareness and Promotion, discussed the peripheries of the frequently believed fallacy. Wilcox explains that through consistent alcohol consumption, “The body becomes numb to the initial effects of alcohol,” meaning the body takes more time for its defense system to register the depressant. Though the effects of alcohol take longer to feel, it will catch up over time, usually somewhere between one to two hours per drink.

Late night eating induces weight gain. According to another guest speaker for Project Health’s fall retreat, University of Alabama’s nutritionist Sheena Quizon, it’s not about when you eat, it’s about what you eat. Choosing healthy, low-calorie foods for late night hunger pains is perfectly fine. However, there is some truth to this statement. When eating late at night, you are more likely to choose high calorie snacks either because of late night studying, social situations or sheer boredom. It’s simple: the more calories you consume, the more weight you will gain. When picking a late night meal, avoid the 2 a.m. Taco Bell run and opt for something nutritious such as fruit or vegetables that have natural fiber, which is more likely to keep you feeling full longer.

If you skip a meal, you will lose weight. Take note, those of you who are aspiring to lose a few pounds: starvation is not the answer. Yes, you will shed some pounds, but in the long run the effects are harmful. Quizon says skipping a meal or two can lead to binge eating later and a slower metabolism, the body’s tool for converting food into energy. Starvation also causes the body to store fat. By practicing moderation and eating three meals with two to three snacks a day, your metabolism will remain strong and so will your body.