The future of an expanded SEC

With all the rumors and speculations about who will be joining the Southeastern Conference in the coming years and how the divisions will look afterwards, there is an interesting picture to be painted about how SEC football will actually shake down after it’s all said and done.

Now, we know the reason behind it all: money. Money makes the college football world go ‘round. The biggest example of this is the BCS’s very existence (this is a pretty bitter topic for me. Let’s just move on before I lose my cool, Mike Gundy style, in the “I’m a Man, I’m 40!” rant, or even worse, like almost all of Mark Wahlberg’s scenes in “The Other Guys”).

So, to avoid that sour subject, let’s take a look at the SEC and whatever new teams are here to crash the party.

First off, scheduling. This is a scheduling nightmare for the teams that make up the new SEC. For example, it is very possible that Alabama would have to play Mississippi State at the height of its program’s history; Ole Miss; an up-and-coming Arkansas bunch; the heated rivalries of Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee; and then a brutal game against Texas A&M in the original 12th Man, Kyle Field, all in one season.

The reward for all of this hard work? A date with a downright scary Florida State squad for the SEC Championship. Ninety-five percent of college football’s coaching staffs would see this schedule placed in front of them and cry like Brett Favre at his (first) retirement press conference. With good reason.

This is all put together without the possibility of Oklahoma joining. Many people discount that possibility, but let’s remember that the Big 12 gave every other team in the conference a giant middle finger by allowing the Longhorn Network to happen. If you think you’re one of the best, why not upgrade when your current situation devalues you?

Also, this could cause complete disconnect between the East and the West. If the SEC expands to 16 teams, then each team would have to play seven division games and the one team from the other division that is played every year (Alabama-Tennessee, Auburn-Georgia, etc.)

That’s eight conference games right there. Adding in another rotating opponent from the other division would give a ninth conference game. That can’t be fair. Nine conference games in the SEC is a death wish, plain and simple. It can’t be done.

Under these circumstances, it is very likely that Alabama would never play Vanderbilt or Kentucky ever again, despite being in the same conference. Unless, of course, you think Kentucky or Vanderbilt will be reaching the conference championship game anytime soon. If that is the case, then there is a nice bed and a padded room waiting for you in Bryce Hospital.

Next up is recruiting. It becomes impossible. If Texas A&M joins, then the Texas talent base is harder to reach for the rest of the schools. This may not seem significant, but keep in mind that the last two national championship winning quarterbacks came to the SEC from Texas: Greg McElroy, out of high school in Southlake, Texas, and Cam Newton, from Blinn College in Brenham, Texas.

Add in Florida State, and that makes two teams to take most of Florida’s talent, which is easily the best in the nation (Trent Richardson, Tim Tebow and Aaron Murray, anyone?).

As if the SEC wasn’t hard enough as it currently is. Please don’t misinterpret this; I am all for expansion. I am all for great college football, however I can get it. But let’s not be surprised if the days of undefeated SEC champions begin looking smaller and smaller in our rear view mirrors.