Panel discusses black stereotypes

The University of Alabama chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the Lambda Zeta chapter of Delta Sigma Theta have teamed up to host a discussion about some widely-held beliefs about black culture.

In a video posted on Facebook, UA students were asked to give examples of stereotypes of black people. The issues listed in the video included perpetual tardiness, political apathy and other stereotypes.

The goal of the event is to bring resolutions to myths about black culture by questioning the understanding of blackness, according to Leverius Glass, the parliamentarian for the NAACP.

“Blackness is not always a negative connotation,” he said.

The organizations will present “Why is my blackness misunderstood?” panel discussion Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Alston Hall Room 20.

The panel, which will consist of UA students and a representative from the Student Government Association, will be presented with the initial question of what blackness is to them.

There will be an opportunity for dialogue among the panel to discuss any further issues openly, Glass said.

The panel will solicit audience opinion on various topics in which audience members can cast their views via the agree and disagree signs distributed at the doors, Hope Marshall, a senior majoring in marketing and a member of Delta Sigma Theta, said.

Brittney Cooper, a professor in the Department of Women’s Studies, will conclude the discussion.

“I think it’s a step in the right direction,” said Pandora Austin, a senior majoring in psychology and advertising and a member of the discussion panel.

Similar to last week’s dedication of the Malone-Hood Plaza and the Autherine Lucy Clock Tower, the event was inspired to maintain progress in the black community, rather than digression.

“We want to get students to think about diversity on campus,” Glass said.