Rapper Young Greatness talks about the music business, performing and his inspiration

Rapper Kevin Gates will be performing Wednesday, March 2, at Druid City Music Hall. The sold out show is set to start at 8:30 p.m. Along with Gates will be up and coming rapper Young Greatness, whose new single “Moolah” has been a radio hit. Young Greatness will be the opening act for Gates’ “Islah Part 2” tour.

CW: Who or what originally inspired you to go after a career in music?

YG: My best friend, Duece. To me, he was one of the best rappers coming out of New Orleans. Two years ago he was murdered in Lake Charles, Louisiana. He motivated me. I was with him everyday and he was always chasing his dreams, so eventually, his dreams became my dreams.

CW: How does it feel to be performing at a sold out show?

YG: It’s been a blessing, especially being on tour with Kevin. He has a great fan base. I’m noticing that a lot of the fans are adapting to my music, and I would’ve never known that if I wasn’t on tour with Kevin. I appreciate Kevin for giving me this opportunity.

CW: What something about you that people would be surprised to know?

YG: I’m very charming (laughs). Really, a lot of people tell me that I’m very intelligent, and well-spoken. They say that a lot of rappers aren’t like that. It’s funny to me, because I wonder what other guys are doing in their interviews?

CW: What’s your vision for your music? Do you want to tell your story? Or are you trying to relate to fans?

YG: When I make my music, I want it to be relatable. If you have a long day, or you’re going through things, I want you to hear my music and feel like you have hope.

CW: What has been the most difficult thing about the music industry so far?

YG: The business side of the industry has probably been the most difficult. There are a lot of things that go on with the business side. When you’re the artist you think it’s not your job to worry about all of that, but if you really care about your career, you’re going to worry about it.

CW: When you got signed, and realized you were about to take off, how did that feel?

YG: It made me feel good. When I got signed I felt like it was really time to work. Not to be cocky, but I always knew I had what it took to make it, it was just a matter of time. I won’t lie, it’s a great feeling. Especially to hear “Moolah” all over the radio, it makes it real for me.

CW:  Yeah, I really like that song.

YG: You like it? I can’t wait to get down there and have everybody singing along.

CW: Tell me a little about your upbringing.

YG: Of course my childhood had adversities, but my mom and my father raised me well. I didn’t start facing any major issues until I got older. I think that’s where my leadership skills came from, going through so much showed me I had to stand up and lead. Growing up I was a quarterback on the football team, a captain in high school, I’ve always had leadership in me.

CW: Is there anything else you’d like fans and readers to know about you or your music?

YG: I want them to know that I make my music for them. I want to please the world, and I want to please my fans. When Young Greatness is rapping, I want them to know I’m doing it for them. When people ask me what does Young Greatness mean, I tell them that it means I’m the ghetto’s only hope. By that, I mean I feel like I have to be the voice for people that don’t have a voice.

CW: Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview for me.

YG: Oh no problem, it’s all love! I hope I get a “Roll Tide” shirt while I’m in town.