Top Ten: Sure-fire gifts for college students

Christmas may be merry and bright, but for anyone searching for the perfect gift for a loved one it can be as frustrating as it is festive. This is especially true for parents and relatives trying to find a gift for a college student that he or she will use and enjoy. To help out, we asked a few students what’s at the top of their list this year.

1.    Coffee/ Tea
    Coffee is a necessity for most college students, helping them power through all-nighters and long weeks of classes and assignments. A coffeemaker to keep in a dorm or apartment or a gift card to the student’s coffee shop of choice is a great gift that is sure to be used and appreciated. Hot tea is also a good gift, as it is a good alternative for students who are health-conscious or looking for variety of flavor.

2.    Clothes
    Though the bane of every child on Christmas morning, clothes are a practical gift appreciated by most college students, especially those from regions with radically different climates than Tuscaloosa.
    “I’m actually wearing one of my gifts right now,” laughed Jessica Nicholas, a junior double majoring in Communications and Philosophy. “I asked my mom for this jacket early, because it’s cold.”

3.    Speakers / Headphones
    Music is an important part of most students’ lives. Because items like speakers and headphones are often expensive, these can be great gifts for students that they might not be able to afford but would definitely use. A good set of headphones can be a daily companion: students can use them to call home or listen to music as they study or walk to class, and they are a lifesaver in noisy libraries or dorms.  Speakers are also a good gift, equally suited for a solo dance party or hosting friends.

4.    Home Décor
    For many students, apartments and dorms lack the cozy feel of home. Something as simple as photographs or as large as new furniture can add warmth to a student’s living space.
    “I’m asking for small furniture for the apartment,” said Andrew Belt, a junior majoring in International Studies. Though like many his apartment comes with basic pieces, he explained, “It’s a little empty with just the complex’s furniture package.”

5.    Professional Materials
    This is an excellent gift for older students who are about to join the job market. Though professional materials like a business card holder, a leather portfolio, or nice pen are often too pricey for a newly graduated student to afford, these items can help them be confident and prepared for every interview.

6.    External USB Charger/ Phone case
    A walk across campus offers up plenty of examples of students using their smart phones for everything from checking grades or daily news to keeping in touch with friends. Phone accessories like a case or an external charger that a student can keep in a backpack help to protect and support the devices that are essential in a student’s daily life.
    Emily Dunkel, a sophomore majoring in Elementary Education said, “I’m asking for a LifeProof case, because I recently drowned my phone during LSU weekend, and I would not like to repeat that awkward FaceTime with my parents telling them my phone is waterlogged.”

7.    Hobby supplies
    Everyone has an activity they love to do in their free time. College students are no exception, boasting hobbies that range from scuba diving and rock climbing to volunteering to binge-watching Netflix. Whatever it may be, gifts related to a student’s hobby are always a good idea. If they love the outdoors, get hiking boots. If they love crafting, get a gift card to Micheal’s or Hobby Lobby. Even better, arrange to do something together that they would enjoy, like a baking class, camping trip, or movie night. The possibilities are endless, and the extra effort makes the gift more meaningful.

8.    Money
    This is the most versatile of all Christmas gifts. Though it may not have the same personal touch as an afghan knitted by Grandma, this is one gift that will definitely come in handy. Almost every student can relate to Jacob Lynn, a sophomore majoring in Microbiology, who said, “Money would be the best gift for me, because I’m poor.”

9.    Duct Tape
    This is arguably the most useful item any student can own. You never know what might happen at college, but rest assured: duct tape can handle it.

10.    Anything that Shows You Care
    Although the gifts listed here are great suggestions, at the end of the day college students appreciate anything given with love and care.
    “I don’t really ask for anything outright anymore, so the best gifts I get are when I randomly talk about something throughout the year and [my parents] make note of it and surprise me with it later,” said Osagie Jesuorobo, a junior majoring in Telecommunications and Film. “One year our parents surprised me and my sister with puppies, without saying a word about planning on getting them.”