UA alumnus to speak on Middle Eastern studies

University of Alabama alumnus Richard Chambers will discuss the development of the field of Middle Eastern studies when he returns to the University to give a lecture titled, “Middle Eastern Studies Then and Now: An Insider View.”

The lecture, sponsored by the department of religious studies, will take place on Thursday at 4 p.m. in Room 205 of Gorgas Library.

“Given that we’ve just hired a scholar of Islam who teaches for both religious studies and history, it is especially exciting to see professor Chambers coming to Tuscaloosa to speak on the important field of Middle Eastern studies,” said Russell McCutcheon, chair of the department of religious studies.

Chambers has written, organized and presented papers at more than 50 conferences, workshops, seminars and congresses, both domestically and internationally, throughout his professional career.

“Dr. Chambers is one of the college’s most distinguished alumni and a recognized authority on the history and development of the Middle East,” said Robert Olin, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

The Turkish Student Association plans to formally recognize Chambers for his work in the field and his relationship with the Middle East, specifically Turkey. Huseyin Ergin, president of the Turkish Student Association, said Chambers has visited the University in the past and the Turkish Student Association is excited for his return.

“We will also give him [Chambers] a plaque just to remind us and make him happy that we didn’t forget him,” Ergin said.

While he is well acquainted with the history of Turkey, he is also familiar with the country’s society, as he has been to Turkey before. As a lecturer, he has accompanied a number of tours to Turkey sponsored by the Smithsonian Institution, the Field Museum of Natural History, the University of Chicago’s Center of Middle Eastern Studies, Smart Museum of Art, Oriental Institute and the Alumni Association.

Olin said Chambers’ experiences and research give him a valuable insight into studies of the Middle East, and students will benefit from his presentation on the subject.

“His lecture promises to provide a rich and stimulating perspective on the history and complexities of the Middle East. Dr. Chambers’ talk shouldn’t be missed by anyone interested in understanding this important and volatile region and its influence on the world,” Olin said.