Pedal to the metal

Brakes squeal and neon vests come into sight. The wheels of two skateboards take a sudden halt Wednesday, as do the wheels of a UAPD police motorcycle — one of many hanging out around campus.

Dozens of students pass this new—but recently recurring—scene, some staring uncomfortably, some curiously, as the two girls previously skateboarding look confused about the current situation. They glance, stunned, at the officer standing in front of them, ticket book in hand, 
scribbling with a pen.

Molly Moroney and her friend both received a written warning from the officer for skating in the bike lane in front of Gorgas Library. They were both unaware what they were doing is illegal.

“I got a warning for riding in the bike lane as a skateboarder,” Moroney said. “You have to be on the sidewalk, apparently. If I get stopped again, it’s a $287 ticket.”

The UAPD has recently been heavily enforcing traffic laws when it comes to bikers and skateboarders on campus, especially with the use of bike patrol.

Moroney and her friend aren’t alone with these occurrences.

Kyle Goodwin, a senior who rides a bike and a skateboard on campus, said the first time he’s was pulled over on campus was during his sophomore year while he was on a skateboard.

His offense? Skating in a bike lane, too.

“It doesn’t make sense that they would put you on the sidewalk with the skateboard where you can potentially hit people,” Goodwin said. “It seems like what they’re trying to do right now is scare people out of it.”

Another student, Kit Lacoste, a junior, has been pulled over twice while riding his skateboard, once when he was coming around the parking lot at the Ferg and another time coming down Hackberry toward University. He was told it was a two-strike system. The police give one written warning and 
then a ticket.

“$287 is more than a speeding ticket,” Lacoste said. “It’s just an astronomical figure.”

Chris Bryant, research communications director and assistant director of media relations, said the increase of bike patrol is, on some days, higher than in 
years past.

“It’s an effective way to maneuver around campus, and it enables officers to more easily and frequently interact with the campus community,” Bryant said.

Warnings don’t stop once classes are over, and Goodwin said one of his warnings was late at night.

“I didn’t think it was something that was enforced on a college campus when there’s no students or cars around,” Goodwin said.

Many of the two-wheeled riders traveling to class remain out of the know on their current laws for bikes, skates, longboards and roller skates on campus. When the UAPD officers pull over students on campus for riding illegally, most are given a pamphlet about bike safety to try to 
educate students.

Bryant said that most moving violations written for bikes are on University or Bryant Drive.

“They should probably send an email telling people you can’t be in the bike lane if you’re not a biker,” Morony said.