App helps find UA buildings

Many different options exist for students when it comes to finding a way around campus and locating classes.

In 2011, the Campus Maps smart phone app launched out of a dorm at The University of Maryland. The app licenses maps from Google and Apple to allow users to view an image of their destination.

According to the Campus Maps website, the app is constantly updated and allows students and visitors to find any building on campus. Since the launch of the app, many different universities have been added across the country, including The University of Alabama.

Kathleen Bodle, a senior majoring in telecommunication and film and marketing, said she is familiar with the app.

“Back in freshman year I would actually use a physical map in order to locate my classes,” she said. “I found it to be really difficult and eventually I lost the map 
all together.”

As Bodle started to become more familiar with different virtual maps, she ran across the Campus Maps app.

“I am a very visual person, so when I schedule my classes or I need to know where to go I use this, and it helps me actually see where the buildings are and if I will be able to make it from one class to another in a certain amount of time,” she said.

Now, as a senior, Bodle said she finds herself using the app less and less, but whenever a new semester comes around she relies heavily on the app.

“Whenever I need to find a building the first few days of class I pull out the app and it really helps me out a lot,” she said.

Chris Cleveland, a junior majoring in telecommunication and film, said he doesn’t use maps or other services to find his classes.

“As a junior I know my way around campus already, and now that most of my classes are basically major and minor material they are all in the same buildings,” he said.

When it came to his freshman year, Cleveland said he just walked around in order to become more familiar with 
the campus.

“I believe the best way to figure things out is to do something on your own,” 
he said.

The Campus Maps for The University of Alabama sells for 99 cents in the App Store.