Men's rugby emphasizes community, sportsmanship

President Matthew Schick played rugby before arriving on campus, putting him in the minority for Alabama’s team. Schick said the team is used to teaching new members the sport’s basics.

“When we first got here I’d say 25 percent of people had played before,” he said.

Freshman Dan Larocca was one of the members who joined with no prior experience. Larocca said the team helped him find his place both on and off of the field.

“We are very tight-knit as a group,” he said. “I think without it, my first semester would not have been as good as it was.”

Schick said rugby is a social sport by nature and the club does its best to reflect that. He said rugby takes the concept of good sportsmanship to a new level – opponents are treated with respect during the game, and everyone competes hard but not at the expense of sportsmanship.

Senior Geoff Drum said the emphasis on good sportsmanship is important, especially during after-game festivities. Rugby encourages opponents to get to know their opponents, he said.

“After the match it is traditional to have a social with the other team,” he said. “You sing rugby songs together and you get to know the other players.”

Drum said people often exaggerate the contact aspect of rugby, and like football, there is still room for finesse and skill.

“A lot of people think that they are not big enough for it,” he said. “There are positions on the rugby field that small, fast guys are, like, ideal for.”