Players not focused on avenging last-second loss

“The Iron Bowl is one of the greatest rivalries in college football,” Saban said. “This game means a lot of people in this state, regardless of which side you’re on, and also 
around the country.”

The Iron Bowl doesn’t need any preface. It doesn’t need an introduction. No matter the record of either team, it is the biggest game of 
the year.

“This game has been circled on our calendar for 365 [days] so it’s time to come out, watch film and do the things we got to do to prepare for it,” linebacker Reggie Ragland said after Saturday’s game.

Since the famous – and for Alabama, infamous – finish to the 2013 Iron Bowl, Auburn has had bragging rights. The win sent the Tigers to the SEC Championship to face Missouri and ultimately to the national championship. A one-loss Alabama sat at home, a second removed from Atlanta, a second removed from continuing its journey to Pasadena for a shot at the last BCS National Championship.

The play, referred to as the Kick-Six, was on a seemingly endless loop after the Iron Bowl. It has already been played again leading up to Saturday.

“I clicked it off,” quarterback Blake Sims said. “I tried to keep it away because I try to keep myself [composed] and try to keep the team level headed and be the best leader I can.”

The clip is nearly unavoidable, but the players aren’t going out of their way to watch a last-second loss.

“I mean, I wouldn’t try to avoid it, but I wouldn’t try to watch it, as well,” sophomore defensive lineman Jonathan Allen said. “I just view it was more motivation for me throughout the whole offseason. There is no more extra emphasis on this game than last game, but it’s definitely motivation for us.”

After Alabama lost, the team went to the Sugar Bowl. Despite being favored to win, the Crimson Tide fell to Oklahoma 45-31 for its first losing streak since the 2008-09 season.

“Every loss motivated us,” Allen said. “Auburn loss, we were just as motivated from the Auburn loss as we were from the Oklahoma loss. Every time we lose we always try to use that as motivation to get better.”

This year is different from last year’s meeting. Alabama is in the driver’s seat for an SEC Championship berth, while Auburn’s season has been derailed by three losses. The Crimson Tide will go to Atlanta if it beats Auburn. If Ole Miss beats Mississippi State, Alabama will head to Atlanta regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl.

Take that all away, and it’s still a rivalry. And Alabama did lose on a 109-yard field goal return as time expired.

“We all kind of remember what 
happened,” Saban said. “It was very, very disappointing to all of us here. Not just the last play but the last five minutes of the game that we never really finished the game like we needed to. It was a tough way to lose a game, and I’m sure everybody sort of has that in mind.”

It isn’t just a rivalry game. It’s also the last home game for the seniors.

“I think everyone’s really excited,” offensive lineman Austin Shepherd said. “After the [Western Carolina] game Blake came up to me and was jumping around saying, ‘We’ve got one more here.’ I think practices are going to be really good. You can just tell that everyone’s upbeat and 
anxious to get to Saturday.”