Announcements for 8/19/2010

Register laptops, mobile devices for 2010-2011 academic year

Each fall, all laptops and mobile devices registered on the UA system are removed in order to maintain a high level of safety and security across the campus network. On Aug. 4, the wireless registration information was reset to remove students, faculty and staff no longer affiliated with the University from the system. Users who registered on the wireless network within the last 30 days were not dropped. All others will have to re-register.

Faculty, staff and students returning to campus who want to use a laptop or mobile device must complete a simple, one-time registration. Users will be prompted to complete the registration on their first attempt to open a web browser. They must enter their myBama usernames and passwords, accept the user agreement and restart their devices to complete the registration process.

UA-produced documentary on Black Panther Party to be screened in Harlem

The documentary film “Lowndes County Freedom Party,” produced by the Center for Public Television and Radio at The University of Alabama, will be screened Saturday, Aug. 21 at 7:30 p.m. at the Maysles Cinema in Harlem.

The film, directed by Dwight Cammeron, documentary television program director for CPT&R, recalls the efforts of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee to mobilize the African American majority of “Bloody Lowndes” to exercise their political voice by forming a local political party in the face of repression. He traces the roots of the Black Panther Party’s philosophy of self-determination and self defense to rural Lowndes County in Alabama by way of Harlem, New York.

Works from UA’s Paul R. Jones Collection Exhibited

The University of Alabama’s College of Arts and Sciences will present an exhibit of works from UA’s Paul R. Jones Collection of American Art, “Branching Out: Surrounding the Spiral Group,” in the art gallery of the UA Ferguson Center Sept. 7-30.

An opening reception will be held Tuesday, Sept. 14 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. The exhibit is free and open to the public.