Octubafest returns to campus

Octubafest returns to campus

The now-annual Octubafest began in 1974 and was held at Indiana University. Organized originally by Harvey Phillips, the event kicked off a movement now 
celebrated across the country.

“Octubafest events are held at universities across the U.S.,” said Jeremy Crawford, instructor of tuba and euphonium. “Each university puts their own unique spin on the events with the hopes of bringing more attention to all of the great music that is being written for the tuba and 
the euphonium.”

Crawford organized the first UA Octubafest last year, which hosted three events and will expand this year to eight events. The concerts will feature the UA tuba ensemble as well as internationally renowned tuba soloist Øystein Baadsvik.

The musical repertoire will include a new mix of works for tuba and euphonium alongside traditional music. Crawford said the great part about all these events is being able to showcase a huge variety of music and share it with students.

“My favorite part about Octubafest is getting to watch my students share their talents with these audiences,” Crawford said. “My students work tremendously hard, so it’s great for friends and family to see them take center stage and show what they have been working so diligently on.”

Ian Toy, a junior majoring in music therapy, is performing in Octubafest for the second year in a row. Toy has been playing the euphonium, a brass instrument resembling a tuba, but smaller, for eight years.

“It’s special to me because it’s a celebration of our instrument and our craft,” 
Toy said.

Octubafest plays on the pun German Oktoberfest. The second festival event this week will feature The University of Alabama Tuba & Euphonium Studio 
solo recital.

“I also hope that through these events we can spark an interest in some younger tuba and euphonium players who will hopefully join us someday at UA,” Crawford said. “Events like Octubafest are fantastic for showing young players what life at UA is like and all of the great music they would get to be a part of.”