Campus hall provides community

Campus hall provides community

Located across the street from the Angelo Bruno Business library, just on the other side of the Strip, is Friedman Hall, a largely unknown building, home to over 100 students.

Friedman Hall is a co-educational residence hall open only to commerce and business administration students.

Matthew Eurton, a sophomore majoring in operations management and German, said he took advantage of the building’s location during his freshman year to get to class.

“It was a three to five minute walk to most of [my classes],” he said. “Plus, Bruno Library was right there for when I needed to pull a late-night 
studying session.”

Eurton said another benefit of the building is its small number of rooms. Friedman Hall houses 128 students, while Ridgecrest South is home to almost 1,000 students and Presidential Village houses almost 2,000.

“It was a very college-like atmosphere,” he said. “We had our small community within the borders of the campus.”

This year, Eurton is a resident advisor in Ridgecrest South.

“Even though I haven’t lived in Ridgecrest South for very long, I am really enjoying the community, and having a room to myself is definitely a plus,” he said.

Because Friedman is an older building on campus, residents don’t get to enjoy all the conveniences the newer dorms offer, like carpeted floors and elevators. Jenny Guffy, a freshman majoring in general business, said the lack of an elevator has 
proved problematic.

“My roommate had to climb up the stairs when she sprained her ankle,” she said. “Even though there are only three flights of stairs, students need to climb to get to their rooms. Elevators are a must on some days.”

For Guffy, she said the decision to live in Friedman was a tough one due to the pressure from her friends to live in one of campus’s newer dorms. Despite its negative perception, she said she and many of the building’s other residents are proud to call Friedman their home.

“Everyone gives it the cold shoulder because it is not like the new dorms,” she said. “We are a little family. There is not one person in this building I don’t like.”