Model UN team to compete at regional conference

The University of Alabama’s Model United Nations team, a part of the Alabama International Relations Club, is heading to Atlanta Thursday to represent the University in the Southern Regional Model United Nations.

During the course of the competition, each member of the team is assigned a political figure and is expected to represent that person’s political interest while in committee. The college conferences allow for more flexibility in participants’ actions and give members a better chance to work individually, rather than as a nation, as they would in a high school conference.

The Model UN team has been steadily gaining ground in its circuit in the past few years, rounding up four separate awards in the last conference it attended, which was hosted by Duke University.

Brandon Hooks, a sophomore majoring in international studies and Spanish, said he believes the Model UN team here needs time to develop into a more established program.

“I feel like we’re slowly growing compared to the other schools,” Hooks said. “The issue is that they have a long, set tradition of having a team.”

Within the top level of competition, other SEC schools are scarce. Casey Delker, a sophomore majoring in marketing and international relations, currently serves as the communications director of AIRC. She and Hooks said The University of Alabama’s presence at the conference helps to break down preconceived notions about the state and university.

“They kind of have a bad perception of the South and especially of Alabama,” Delker said. “So we’re definitely trying to change that.”

Hooks said they find many often underestimate the University’s capablities.

“Thinking of Alabama, you think of a state, especially a university, that is a very closed unit,” Hooks said. “We have a diverse campus, we have a diverse field of education, and that we are interested in international affairs. They underestimate what we can do here.”

While the team members wish to represent the University to the best of their abilities, the competition is meant to be fun, not stressful. Brett Spicer, vice president of AIRC and a junior majoring in economics and history, said each trip holds opportunities beyond the conference.

“We compete successfully at the top level,” Spicer said. “We are a competitive team, but we like to experience the travel factor and enjoy the city more. It’s a great opportunity for academic advancement but also for personal enrichment.”

Hotel and travel expenses are covered by AIRC from funding it gets from sponsors and from the University. AIRC members are provided with the opportunity to network and make friends with people all over the United States and internationally. In March, the team plans to travel to the World Model United Nations in Brussels, Belgium, where it will tackle problems with students from around the globe.

“Going to these conferences allows you to realize that these international problems do exist, and they’re hard to solve, because you firsthand try and solve them,” Spicer said.

Robert Hannah, a sophomore majoring in economics, stumbled upon AIRC’s table at Get On Board Day as a freshman and remains an active member of the club. Hannah said being a member has broadened his understanding of conflict and helped him find his place on campus.

“It helps with your ability to compromise and work with other people and really make the best of whatever situation you were in,” Hannah said. “The people in AIRC are some of the closest friends that I have.”

AIRC is open to members from all different majors, and anyone interested in global affairs is encouraged to join. Along with the Model UN team, AIRC teaches foreign languages to local middle schools and hosts Model UNs at high schools. It also holds internal debates and brings in speakers at its weekly meetings.

Students interested in joining AIRC or Model UN can attend a meeting, held every Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in Room 15 of Bidgood Hall, or contact Brett Spicer at [email protected].