Movie series brings recent releases to Ferg

University Programs, a student-led program responsible for organizing and implementing events and activities for students, shows a movie in the Ferguson Theater as a part of their Movie Series once a month. Movies are provided by Swank Motion Pictures, Inc., a non-theatrical distributor that licenses their movies to The University of Alabama and other college campuses and universities.

University Programs receives movies from Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. before or right after their DVD releases. Because the University Programs receives funding through the University, they are able to show the movie free of charge. They also provide free popcorn and drinks.

Betsy Stewart, graduate assistant for University Programs, said the program board takes a vote to determine which movie they will show every month. She said they select new and popular movies, including “Perks of Being a Wallflower,” “The Dark Knight” and “The Hunger Games.”

Stewart said they often select movies that have a deep take-home message for viewers.

“Anytime we can put some meaning behind it or teachable moment, that’s always a good day for us,” Stewart said.

For the Movie Series Event in April, University Programs showed “Django Unchained” to fit the Capstone’s theme of commemorating the 50th anniversary of the racial desegregation of the University.

Before the movie, they had a 45-minute discussion about the film with professors from gender and race studies and history departments as panelists. Stewart said it was the first time they had a panel discussion along with a movie, but they plan to make it a regular feature.

Stewart said University Programs has plans to do their first collaboration with Crimson Cinema Productions, a new organization that gives students a chance to work with film production.

“They have a lot of great resources in the telecommunications and film department that they can pull and a lot of knowledgeable professors about film,” Stewart said. “We are hoping to bring in their perspective.”

She said University Programs is always looking for opportunities to expand their organization. In March, they funded a free trip to Cobb Theatre see “Oz the Great and Powerful” in 3D in March.

Marlan Golden, a junior majoring in history and Spanish, attended the event and said it was a positive experience.

“I enjoyed it. I thought it was something great the University offers,” Golden said.

Taylor Johnson, who organizes the Movies Series, said she believes the series presents good opportunities for students to socialize.

“[The University] understands that students need a way to get out and connect with each other,” Johnson said. “Students from out of state or international students, who don’t have homes an hour away or right down the road, have a way to kind of get out and meet people, which is really exciting.”

Stewart said University Programs is open to criticism about things they need to improve on.

“We want to host events students want to have,” Stewart said.