Nelson to receive faculty premier service award

For administrator and professor Mark Nelson, The University of Alabama is not just his workplace, but also an institution that has helped him learn and evolve as a person.

“Being a part of this community of scholars has helped me to grow in my scholarship and in my perspective on life and on education as well,” said Nelson, vice president for student affairs, vice provost and professor of communication studies at the University.

Nelson started at the University in 1991 as a professor in the communication studies department. From 1996-2006, he served as associate dean for the College of Communication and Information Sciences. He became vice president for student affairs and vice provost in 2008.

Nelson has earned various awards throughout his career, including the Knox Hagood Outstanding Faculty Member in Communication, UA’s Outstanding Commitment to Teaching Award, the DSR-TKA Outstanding Alumnus Award, and the John Blackburn Outstanding University Advisor Award.

Nelson’s 23 years of work at the Capstone have recently earned him another honor. The University has awarded him the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, which recognizes one female, one male and a non-student for their excellent character and service to humanity. The award, which is one of the University’s Premier Awards, is given to those who have demonstrated the highest standards of scholarship, leadership and service.

Nelson said he was thrilled, shocked and honored to have been awarded the Sullivan Award. Several of Nelson’s colleagues, friends and staff members wrote letters in support of his nomination.

“The award is certainly one of the highest awards given at the University, and I was very humbled to be selected,” Nelson said. “The fact that my own colleagues, friends and staff members participated in the nomination made it extra special.”

As a part of the University, Nelson hopes to make a great impact on student life on campus. He looks to education as the key to accomplishing that goal.

“Everything we do should be an educational experience for our students. We know that students spend 80 percent of their time outside of the classroom,” Nelson said. “To think or believe that education only happens inside the classroom would be a misunderstanding. The environment we are in has to be an educational environment.”

Nelson said being a part of UA’s community of scholars has been extremely rewarding, and there is no other place he would rather be.

“The University has a special place in my heart,” Nelson said. “This is home for me.”