‘Rock the Cure’ to raise money for St. Jude Research Hospital

The University of Alabama’s Up ‘til Dawn organization is hosting a “Rock the Cure” event to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Thursday from 7-10 p.m. at The Zone in Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The Doctors and Lawyers will be playing live, and food from Chick-fil-A, McAlister’s Deli, TCBY, Dominos Pizza and Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe will be provided. Attendees can receive a complimentary makeover from the Bobbi Brown makeup line and win Guy Harvey merchandise, as well as the chance to win a $200 Visa gift card.

Brittain McCoy, a senior at the University and the public relations chair for the Up ‘til Dawn Executive Board, was a patient at St. Jude for four years.

“I know firsthand how important it is to raise money for this amazing hospital because they saved my life,” McCoy said. “This event will be a lot of fun, and by coming, you are raising money for St. Jude and consequently saving a child’s life.”

Up ‘til Dawn is a campuswide organization that raises money and awareness for St. Jude by writing letters and hosting events like Rock the Cure. To go to the event, students must bring 10 addresses that Up ‘til Dawn can use to send prewritten letters asking for donations. Letter-writing stations will be at the event.

“Despite the fact that St. Jude is in Memphis, the hospital affects the lives of those around us every day,” Up ‘til Dawn assistant director Margaret Coats said. “They develop the protocols and treatments that trickle down into many hospitals all over the country, and without St. Jude, there are many kids in our community, city and state who wouldn’t be alive today.”

For more information, visit the University’s Up ‘til Dawn pages on Facebook or Twitter.

Grads teaching for TFA in Black Belt face challenges

Some Alabama students suffer from SAD due to lack of sunlight

UA teams advance to next round of start-up competition