Dodgeball games to benefit St. Jude’s

University Programs and campus organization Up ‘til Dawn will host a glow-in-the-dark dodgeball tournament at Presidential Park Thursday at 8 p.m.

The tournament will help raise funds for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital by taking donations up to $20 at the event. The fundraising goal has been set to $1000.

UA senior Brittain McCoy, a former St. Jude’s patient and public relations chair of Up ‘til Dawn, said they use events like the dodgeball tournament to raise money for the hospital. The organization also raises awareness to help children with pediatric cancer by writing letters to family and friends.

“[We] have been working really hard this year to become more well known on campus by holding multiple fundraising events,” McCoy said. “Not only will [the tournament] be a fun event, but you will be helping save a child’s life by coming.”

Melanie Williams-Hill, a planner for the event, said students can have fun while helping a good cause.

“This dodgeball tournament is giving students the opportunity to participate in something fun and different, since dodgeball is no longer a part of UA intramurals, as well as receiving something in return because they’re playing for scholarships from the University,” Williams-Hill said.

T-shirts, glow-in-the-dark dodgeballs, necklaces and bracelets will be provided free of charge at the event.

“We hear so much about adult cancer, but it’s the children that need our help. Think about a child that has to miss school and lose their hair when they should be outside playing with their friends,” Williams-Hill said. “This is helping our futures as well because children are our future and our progress.”

Students can register for free by emailing their team name to [email protected] and will have the opportunity to win University of Alabama scholarships by competing. For directions to Presidential Park or more information, call (256) 417-0137. Donations of more than $20 can be made by contacting Melanie Williams-Hill at [email protected].

Mock trial team 2nd in region

Tide team breaks top 5 for 1st time in program history

Women’s team to open conference at Ole Miss