Dance Marathon group to raise funds at TCBY, Bama Mini Golf tonight

Members of The University of Alabama Dance Marathon team will be hosting two fundraisers on Tuesday as part of their spirit night, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Children’s Miracle Network.

The first fundraiser is at TCBY on McFarland Boulevard from 5 to 8 p.m. Patrons who mention UADM will have 20 percent of their purchase go to benefits raised for Children’s Miracle Network.

Following the event at TCBY, UADM will also be hosting a mini golf fundraiser at Bama Mini Golf from 7 to 10 p.m. The cost to play on one course is $5 and $7.50 for two courses. Fifty percent of the money raised will go to the fundraiser.

UADM is an organization that aims to enhance the lives of children suffering from childhood disease. It is a student-run philanthropy at the University and revolves around a year-long fundraising effort that culminates in an eight-hour no-sitting, no-sleeping dance marathon on campus.

“The point of our organization is to bring all of the students at Alabama together for one really good cause,” said Gloria Kelly, vice president of external affairs for UADM.

The money raised goes to research for cancer treatment as well as to help support the families of those affected.

“Without donors, some hospitals can’t keep their doors open for everyone,” McKenzie Pope, director of corporate relations for UADM, said. “Outside of monetary donations, just being there for the kids is huge for them. These families need that support system.”

UADM is coming off its inaugural year in which it passed its initial fundraising goal of $10,000 by more than $5,000, and the group expects to see even more success with its fundraisers.