DiET to host diabetes awareness event

Fall on the campus of The University of Alabama means that attention is solidly fixed on the Crimson Tide football team, but another team of students, the Diabetes Education Team, will vie for attention and awareness today with several on-campus events held to observe World Diabetes Day.

“[The] Diabetes Education Team’s mission is to raise awareness about diabetes prevention in under-served areas,” Koushik Kasanagottu, the president of UA’s Diabetes Education Team, or DiET, said. “We are very involved in Tuscaloosa County, as well as the campus, in promoting a healthy and active lifestyle.”

Kasanagottu’s team is working to raise awareness today with an event on the Quad from noon to 4 p.m. Rebecca Kelly, director of Health Promotion and Wellness, said reducing the risk of diabetes is critical for the health and wellbeing of many.

“The day unfolds with the introduction of the first ever UA Blue Man, the students’ own signature character that will make appearances throughout the day on campus,” Kelly said. “Students and employees will recognize the event at a large tent that will be placed in front of Gorgas Library. The day will culminate with the formation of a blue circle at 3:30 p.m. on the Quad by the participants in the day’s event.”

Kelly said DiET hopes the event will allow the UA campus to become fully informed about the key tenets that lead to this life-changing – but often preventable – disease.

“The event will include campus and community partners and allow individuals to learn more about what diabetes is, how to prevent and manage it, share resources linked to healthy eating and exercise, provide risk assessments and meet others engaged in learning more or sharing more information about diabetes care, prevention and a cure,” Kelly said.

Healthy eating, exercise and stress management are three key tenets that decrease the chances of diabetes.

“One in nine Alabamians have diabetes. This completely surprised me when I first heard this fact,” Kasanagottu said. “Making small changes, like not drinking sugary drinks or eating grilled instead of fried meat, makes a huge difference.”

Kelly said approximately 400 UA students are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, and 400 or more faculty and staff suffer as well, mainly from Type 2 diabetes.

“Type 2 is more preventable, and adults can reduce their risk by 58 percent if they will lose up to 10 percent of their weight and exercise five days, 30 or more minutes each day,” Kelly said. “Recreation and healthy eating are such valuable lifestyle behaviors, and through the inclusion of these, individuals can prevent or delay the onset of diabetes, specifically Type 2 diabetes.”