AAA to host 4th annual ‘Ask an Atheist’ session

The Alabama Atheists and Agnostics organization, a student-led social group for freethinking and non-religious University of Alabama students, is hosting its fourth annual Ask an Atheist event in the Ferguson Center Nov. 7-9, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.

AAA members will be equipped to answer any questions students may have about their beliefs and opinions.

Former AAA president Gordon Maples said the definitions of atheist and agnostic varies based on an individual’s perception. Generally, he said, atheists do not believe in God, and agnostics don’t claim knowledge on the existence of gods.

Lin Wang, the current AAA president, said it’s important to have the Ask an Atheist event, because it increases the visibility of atheists within the community.

“There are also some stereotypes and misconceptions about atheists, which the Ask an Atheist table seeks to address,” Wang said. “It also provides a great chance to talk about religion in a casual environment and explain our own ideas about particular topics, such as the afterlife and the idea of a higher power.”

Over the years, the table has attracted various types of people. Some approach the table to get a clear definition of the members’ beliefs, some attend to discuss their own beliefs and a few are more aggressive, Wang said.

“Occasionally, we get the people that want to damn us to hell, and we laugh it off,” said Michael Grierson, the vice president of AAA. “We are not eating babies or doing other stigmas associated with us. We are not godless killing machines.”

Elaine Song, a junior majoring in management information systems, visited the Ask an Atheist table Tuesday, curious about the reasons behind the beliefs of members of AAA. She said she doesn’t force her beliefs on others, but her belief in God gives her a positive outlook on life.

“When I am eating a nice peach, it’s a nice day outside or I am just enjoying a good book, I like to believe it didn’t just happen,” Song said. “Someone out there wants us to be happy, and He placed this for me. It kind of makes me sad that people don’t see that, and God doesn’t get any great credit for all the great things that happen to people.”

Lang, who considers herself an atheist and humanist, said she gradually formed her belief over time. Her curiosity and unexplained questions led her to reject religious beliefs and develop her morality more from her surroundings.

Like Wang and Grierson, Song thinks the Ask and Atheist event can help change perception within the University. She said the chalking on campus, especially those centered around abortion, has given both non-religious and religious UA students a bad reputation, and discussion can lead to a better understanding.

“All the chalkings seem so hostile on both sides,” Song said. “If more people came to ask non-religious people questions, they would see that they are not hostile, just normal people that think a little differently. The more you learn, the better.”