Blind UA music student sounds off on major, life on campus

As a blind student at The University of Alabama, David Rissling’s academic and day-to-day life often differ from those of other students.

Rissling said he had to leave the music therapy program he was pursuing because they were not adapting the courses appropriately for him and is currently in the process of changing his major to music theory.

Risling said he went to Carmen Burkhalter, the associate dean of social sciences, in the 2010 spring semester to argue that assignments for many classes that year were often not being brailled in time for tests, were brailled incorrectly and some were not even brailled at all.

Rissling told Burkhalter the American Music Therapy Association said eye contact with clients and patients in the music therapy setting is critical.

He said he would have been able to do well, if given more help.

“I think just being able to have someone with you to tell you what is going on and what needs to be addressed with clients would be enough, but they were not willing to have that arranged for me,” Rissling said. “As a result, I got poor grades in my classes. My music therapy teachers just seemed to not want me in their program because I’m blind.”

He said after switching to the music theory major, the program was able to braille everything for him, and he would not have to worry about looking at anyone to participate.

Denise Smith, the assistant director of the Office of Disability Services, said students have to be able to meet the standards of every course and every major without alteration of the essential elements of the course.

“Sometimes, due to a visual impairment, students may not be able to meet those standards,” Smith said.

Outside of his coursework, Rissling said the biggest issue he faces is with transportation.

He has asked bus drivers to announce his stop, so that he will know when to get off the bus, but some fail to remember Rissling is on the bus and forget to announce his stop.

Rissling said it angers him when they don’t follow the Americans with Disabilities regulations that require transit agencies to announce stops on the bus.

Ralph Clayton, the assistant director of transportation services at the University, said drivers are to announce stops, and supervisors remind operators during safety meetings and through announcements. They perform spot checks to see that drivers are making announcements.

“The University is committed to taking steps to ensure that First Transit, the company providing transit services, complies with this requirement,” Clayton said.

Transportation Services has ordered two buses, equipped with automatic voice annunciation systems, which uses both audio and visual technologies to communicate information to riders.

Despite some difficulties, Rissling is able to enjoy everyday student life like football.

“Eli Gold is my eyes,” Rissling said. “He does an amazing job describing the plays, the uniforms and the injuries.”

Rissling said he is also pleased with the ODS for installing programs like JAWS, which reads information on the computer screen using synthesized speech.

“I try to identify those needs ahead of time, and get the right software that are going to need installed in that area,” said Marion Stevens, the assistant technology specialist at the ODS said.

Overall, Rissling said he is pleased with the Capstone and that there is no other college he would rather be attending.

“Most of the teachers have listened, shown concern and even, at times, embraced and loved me as a student as if I were their own son,” Rissling said. “That says a lot to me about how much the University cares about its students.