Student wins $500 scholarship

Britney Green, a sophomore majoring in engineering at The University of Alabama, is the 2012 recipient of the Charles and Alice Hines Jackson Memorial Scholarship for Sumter County.

The scholarship is provided through the Children of the Village Network Inc., and is designed for children and their families to thrive not only in their community, but also in their future.

Sumter County Judge Tammy J. Montgomery, the chair of Children of the Village Network Inc., founded the organization with her brother, Charles S. Jackson Jr., in 1997.

“It is built on a premise that it takes a whole village to raise one child,” Montgomery said. “Our mission statement is combating illiteracy, crime, disease and hunger and to administer scholarships to public schools.”

“The scholarship is named after Judge Tammy Montgomery’s mother, Alice Hines Jackson, and her father, Charles S. Jackson Sr.,” Green said. “The scholarship was named after her parents died and left her and her brother a large lump sum of money. They decided to help students from the community that were in college and needed financial help.”

Green worked hard for the scholarship, and she was delighted to be honored with the award for her academic achievement.

“A student applying for this scholarship must have a 3.0 GPA, and they must need some type of financial help in college,” Green said. “Their parents should not have attended college as well.”

Green only recently received the scholarship because Children of the Village Network Inc., requires a full academic year of grades before they select their recipient for the scholarship.

Judge Montgomery and Charles S. Jackson Jr., presented Green with the award and a $500 check on Sept. 22 at the courthouse in Livingston, Ala.

“We think that Britney is a shining star for Sumter County,” Montgomery said.