Student group provides support for St. Jude’s

The University of Alabama’s Up til’ Dawn, a collegiate program that raises awareness and funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, is looking to involve more students, faculty and staff in their work.

The program, founded in 1999, gives participants various opportunities to contribute to St. Jude, an organization with a mission to find cures for children with cancer and other diseases through research and treatment.

For instance, every fall, the executive board visits patients at St. Jude in Memphis, Tenn. and the Target house, a local home sponsored by Target that provides free housing to families whose loved ones are receiving long-term care at the hospital.

Sara Hartley, co-advisor of Up ‘til Dawn, made the trip in 2010.

“When the executive board came back to campus ready to work hard to make a difference in the fight for childhood cancer, I realized the impact a few college students can have in the world,” Hartley said.

The program holds several events throughout the year leading up to their big program in the spring, which involves addressing pre-written letters to friends and family asking them to join their mission.

“The fact that college students can make such a difference in these children’s lives is incredible,” Hartley said.

Lindsey Green, executive director of the program, encourages people to contribute because of the noble cause that Up ‘til Dawn supports: St. Jude’s vision to provide treatment to any child with no discrimination against race, religion or a family’s ability to pay.

“This amazing foundation needs as much help as possible to continue to help children in need,” Green said.

Anyone interested in becoming a part of Up ‘til Dawn should email executive advisor Lindsey Green at [email protected].