Women’s Center hosts Chocolate Festival

The Women’s Resource Center hosted 18 dessert vendors at Friday’s annual Chocolate Festival with aims of raising awareness about a range of women’s health issues.

“We feel that a lot of women aren’t entirely aware of the health risks that are out there and we look to change that,” Cyndi Hamner, the administrative secretary of the WRC, said. “What better way than with chocolate?”

The festival took place in the student activity room of the Student Recreation Center from 4-6 p.m. For $8, participants were granted access to sample the various dessert vendors, each of which offered information on a different women’s health issue. From breast cancer to mental disorders to body image, the WRC considered the major health problems facing women today.

Up from 12 vendors the previous year, this festival included businesses such as Yogurt Mountain, Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Sweet Treats, TCBY, Celebrations Bakery, Panera Bread and Zoë’s Kitchen.

With the increase in vendors, Hamner believes the festival will also see an increase in visitors, thus raising more money for the WRC.

“We hope to reach at least $2,000 in donations this year,” Hamner said.

The WRC also hosted a silent auction where the participants could bid on items such as gift baskets from different business sponsors. Staring at prices of $10 and $15, the baskets held assortments of gifts for both men and women. All of the proceeds go to the WRC.

Laura Taylor, a freshman majoring in fashion retail, attended the chocolate festival with her parents while they visited her over the weekend.

“We’ve learned a lot about maintaining proper health and how to recognize the signs of different diseases” Taylor said. “The chocolate is just an added bonus.”